Tuesday, February 16, 2010

TUESDAY, February 16, 2010 — Nancy Kavanaugh


Theme: Do I need to draw you a picture? — theme answers are all things that can be drawn.

Theme answers:

  • 17A: *Relaxing soak (NICE HOT BATH).
  • 26A: *Great concert turnout (LARGE CROWD).
  • 39A: *Many an exec's remuneration (SIX-FIGURE SALARY).
  • 51A: *Unlucky selection (SHORT STRAW).
  • 61A: What you can say about sketches, and about the answers to the starred clues (THEY'RE DRAWN).
This has to be super quick today. The puzzle wasn't available by the time I went to bed last night so it's Tuesday morning now and, in addition to getting ready for work, I have to get my kids ready for school! This is a glorious day!!

In other good news for me this morning, this puzzle was easy breezy. I solved acrosses (my spellcheck wants acrosses to be carouses — ha!), then downs, then acrosses, then downs, and boom! I was done.

Bullets:
  • 6A: Rice-__ (A-RONI). That San Francisco treat!
  • 15A: Binary system digits (ZEROS). See also 46A: Binary system digits (ONES).
  • 16A: Exercise unit (REP). Were we just talking about this here the other day? No, I think it was over at Rex's. Anyway rep in this case means repetition, but it's a word all on its own now.
  • 66A: NFL's Cardinals, on scoreboards (ARI). By the time I got to the T in STL, I remembered that they moved. A long time ago.
  • 28D: Kurt of Nirvana (COBAIN).


  • 41D: Corsica neighbor (ELBA). Y'all read CW101 yesterday, right? Right??
  • 61D: Pa. plant in the 1979 news (TMI). Three Mile Island.
  • 62D: Like Gen. Powell (RET.). Distinguished? handsome? Republican? tall? kinda geeky looking? Oh, retired. Okay.
Everything Else — 1A: Western Florida city (TAMPA); 11A: Air gun ammo (BBS); 14A: Catherine of "Beetlejuice" (O'HARA); 19A: Brew in a yard (ALE); 20A: "Just __ suspected!" (AS I); 21A: "... have you __ wool?" (ANY); 22A: Company whose calling is calling (AVON); 23A: Bio kin (CHEM); 29A: Sympathetic connection (RAPPORT); 31A: Cease (STOP); 32A: Blood system letters (ABO); 33A: Confirmation, e.g. (RITE); 35A: Outperforms (BESTS); 43A: Work with hair (STYLE); 44A: Pre-coll. catchall (EL-HI); 45A: Bit of Internet mirth (LOL); 49A: Pulls an all-nighter (BONES UP); 55A: Course with many problems (MATH); 56A: Hip-swiveling dance (HULA); 57A: Beachgoer's shirt (TEE); 58A: Rioting group (MOB); 60A: Former California fort (ORD); 67A: Free-for-all (MELEE); 68A: McDermott of "The Practice" (DYLAN); 69A: Soap-making need (LYE); 70A: "__ my case" (I REST); 71A: Figure out (SOLVE); 1D: Heavy weight (TON); 2D: Bigeye or yellowfin, at a sushi bar (AHI); 3D: Cheese partner (MAC); 4D: Radio signal booster (PREAMP); 5D: Sighs of contentment (AAHS); 6D: HIV-treating drug (AZT); 7D: Masonry-reinforcing rod (REBAR); 8D: Tree-dwelling apes (ORANGS); 9D: "Almost ready--be patient" ("NOT YET"); 10D: Suffix with Brit (-ISH); 11D: "Top Chef" network (BRAVO); 12D: Downstairs, at sea (BELOW); 13D: Blow, as dough (SPEND); 18D: Well driller (OIL RIG); 22D: Skin care maven Adrien (ARPEL); 23D: Uncouth (CRASS); 24D: Good thing to kick (HABIT); 25D: Hobbyist's glue (EPOXY); 27D: Westernmost Aleutian island (ATTU); 30D: Point in the right direction (ORIENT); 34D: Preceding, in poetry (ERE); 36D: Tex-Mex dip (SALSA); 37D: "Rainbow" fish (TROUT); 38D: Mythical air dweller (SYLPH); 40D: Regional plant life (FLORA); 42D: Skeptic's demand (SHOW ME); 47D: Her book is read during the Jewish holiday Purim (ESTHER); 48D: "Remington __" (STEELE); 50D: Pre-fetus stage (EMBRYO); 51D: Shallow sea area (SHOAL); 52D: Speed things up (HURRY); 53D: Song from the past (OLDIE); 54D: Three-time N.L. stolen base champ José (REYES); 59D: Gambler's concerns (ODDS); 63D: Every last one (ALL); 64D: Sound file suffix (WAV); 65D: L.A.-to-Helena dir. (NNE).

0 Comments: