Yeah, yeah. I'm exactly a week behind. But hey, better late than never.
When Season 9 started, I tried watching the auditions. I got through the first two - and Victoria Beckham - then lost interest. They stopped being funny or amusing. Even the "good" ones weren't that good anymore. I also wanted to watch Kristin Chenoweth but apparently she had less than ten minutes screen time. Meh. I have x number of "Wicked" videos to sate my Cheno love. Then Joe Jonas?! WTF. I never approved of guest judges during auditions anyway. They're more useful and amusing during the competition proper.
Unlike the boys and the hype some of them got, the girls had none. So I have no idea who these girls are nor have heard them sing anything prior to my viewing of their performance night. [Well, I saw that Portuguese girl's audition but it was more sob story than actual singing. Surprise.] In the past, I never rooted for a girl to win Idol unless she was really the best of the roster (ie Carrie Underwood). Let's see if we have a winner here.
"On this stage right now, the competition begins." - Randy Jackson. [Yes. Because on the semifinal stage, that's where a huge chunk of fanbase is created.]
Paige Miles, All Right Now
She started off okay. I mean, coming on first is huge. The backup singers overpowered her a bit during the chorus but she took on the riffs well. But the banging on the microphone. Please don't do that. Her voice reminds me of Allion Iraheta for some reason. It has that raspiness and the range (and they start all the words with an H). She could've chosen a different song though.
Ashley Rodriguez, Happy
Geez. To take on Leona Lewis in front of Simon Cowell. The guy wrote a song for her! And personally, Leona Lewis should be in the "Do not even attempt to sing" list together with Beyonce, Mariah, and "My Heart Will Go On. Ashley fell apart on that first glory note and to the chorus. It was all over the place. She was too loud and her notes were sharp. I agree with Randy when he said that she'll be compared to the original singer. She didn't do squat to that song. It was predictable - she has the look and probably the sound of Leona-ish singers. [She got eliminated. Well, between her and another girl that will come later, I would let her stick around longer.]
Janell Wheeler, What About Love
Simon said no during the auditions based on her voice. Uhm, that can't be good. Isn't this a singing competition? Heart (band) songs are HUGE. Ann Wilson's voice is so powerful. And Janell's wasn't. It's so thin and weak. The acoustic-y song she did during Hollywood week worked because the style meshed well with her voice. Going from that to a power ballad, didn't work at all. Instead of her conrolling the song, it overpowered her. [Like Ashley, she also got cut. Oh well, would they need another Haley Scarnato?]
Lilly Scott, Fixing A Hole
First of three Beatles songs (in a row). She has this Indie vibe to her voice which I like. Her phrasing is interesting. She's definitely different but believable. I think she actually knows who she is musically and ran with that. She didn't try to sing some well-known big diva or female rock song to impress. She just did her thing and it paid off really well.
Katelyn Epperly, Oh! Darling
Ooh that promotional photo of her is pretty. With the second Beatles song, Katelyn brought with her a loungey vibe. Her whole get-up reminds me of Madonna in the "Crazy for You" video. This girl can sing! She has control over her instrument. And I see a little Megan Joy in her. That quirkiness and showmanship. Like Randy said, the other girls were concerned of impressing the judges (really, it's for the judges) with huge songs and vocals. Katelyn kept it to the level where she's comfortable. I like her.
Haeley Vaughn, I Want to Hold Your Hand
Dear Lord. I liked the two previous renditions of Beatles songs. But this? I happen to like this song the most out of the three but if we're talking about the girls' performances... I hated this one. I called it a "horror" in my previous post. Well, IT IS. It was so painful to listen to this. (I did this same song but in the style of the "Across the Universe" OST. I imagine if she used that instead of the original mix, it would've fared better for her.) I think she couldn't hear herself or the backing music. It was terrible. DX [Between her and Ashley, I'd go with Ashley.]
Lacey Brown, Landslide
Oh! I actually remember her from Season 8. She was the one paired with Megan Joy in the faceoff. I voted for Megan to stay and she did. Lacey was eliminated. And now she's back. So she's the redhead of Season 9. It seems that ever Idol season, there is a redhead. Erm... the moment she started singing reminded me why I wanted Megan Joy to stay instead of her. Was she trying to sound Indie? It's not a good fit. I didn't get her version.
Michelle Delamor, Fallin'
Girl looks like Jordin Sparks a bit. Hmm, she changed the key. It works for her. Yet, Alicia Keys is once again one of those "untouchable" artists unless you do something drastic to the song. The key change helped her. The glory note in the end was nice. The performance was pretty clean; as Simon said, "professional".
Didi Benami, The Way I Am
I like Indie Pop. And I love Ingrid Michaelson and this song to bits! This Didi girl reminds me of Brooke White. She probably has the same sound. I mean, that's probably the only possible way you can sing this song. (I did. And it still sounded indie.) Her take on "Terrified" was great -- it sounded contemporary pop ballad. I don't get why she's boxing herself into the indie sound. Well, I did like her performance. But it is not something I'd remember. I'm with Ellen when she said that the song is not a frontrunner song. It's just a part of a set.
Siobhan Magnus, Wicked Game
I love this Chris Isaak song. (How many girls are with nose piercings this year?) She's a bit nasal. But geez, this song is so sexy! Here's a positive, her stayed on key the whole time. I like this low-key performance. Dark horse? Too early to tell but she's good. (Will she be like the early Kris Allen? Lots of talent, no personality.)
Crystal Bowersox, Hand In My Pocket
Interesting. A harmonica + guitar combo. And she sings! Very well, I might add. Oh man, I am liking this. I like her phrasing and her whole vibe is just so cool. Like the other girl, Crystal is believable and original. She knows who she is. She's definitely different and interesting. I want to see her in the Top 12.
Katie Stevens, Feeling Good
This is the Portuguese girl, right? Oh I watched her audition and sob story. She looks so much like... wait for it... Tatiana del Toro. Oh god, you can say it's the Michael Buble version but ever since Season 8, it's an Adam Lambert song. Big voice. But isn't she what... 17? The song, get-up, performance made her seem old. Maybe it's one of those "big song to impress" kind of performances. Meah.
So Ashley and Janell were eliminated. Shit, I don't think I can stand another week of Haeley Vaughn.
The girls definitely are more interesting than the dudes. Is season 9 for the girls? Maybe. Don't rule out the "cute/hot" votes. Like in my previous review, I still don't have a winner. As I type this, Boys Night #2 is airing over at the East Coast. Reading tweets about it, it's another painful one. As Youtube personality, Michael Buckley tweeted about ten minutes ago, "It's "Something you may night know about me night" on American Idol. I'm waiting for one of them to say " I CAN SING"."
Ouch.
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
American Idol Season 9 Girls Night 1
Posted by creation of the nation at 8:46 AM
Labels: American Idol, Reviews
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment