![]()
Theme: Insurance Reform — First word of each theme answers is related to the insurance industry.
Theme answers:
- 17A: Government declaration of its intentions (POLICY STATEMENT).
- 25A: Vietnam War defoliant (AGENT ORANGE).
- 43A: Gold Rush villain (CLAIM JUMPER).
- 55A: High-octane fuel (PREMIUM GASOLINE).
Quick insurance story. PuzzleDaughter fell off her bike last summer and we had to take her to the emergency room for stitches. I paid the $50 co-pay that day. When the bill arrived, it showed that the original charges were $700 but that our insurance company had paid them $900. But after that was a mysterious "adjustment" that made it so I still have to pay them $200. So let me get this straight. The hospital has already received more money than they asked for, but they still want me to pony up $200. I've been trying to find someone to explain to me how that can possibly make sense. The hospital says I have to check with the insurance company. The insurance company says the hospital should be able to tell me. Pretty sure the Insurance Commissioner of the Commonwealth of Virginia is the next person I'm going to ask.
The puzzle. I blew right through this one. Pretty easy with lots of crosswordese. Theme is not particularly sparkly. I mean, when your first theme answer is POLICY STATEMENT? Yeah, zzzzzzzz. But there were some bright spots too. Anytime you get to recall "The GONG Show" is fun (10A: Interrupter of a bad act, on an old game show). ROXIE is an awesome name (32A: Velma's rival in "Chicago"). Unfortunately, there's a dog in our neighborhood named ROXIE, so now ROXIE will forever be a dog name to me. Hate when that happens. And … yeah, that's pretty much it for the sparkle.Other:
- 14A: Word after horse or soap (OPERA). I don't know what a horse opera is. I'm sure I've heard the phrase before, but I got nothin'.
- 21A: Modest shelters (HUTS). Since we're already back in the 70s with "The Gong Show" we might as well reminisce about "Gilligan's Island" too. 36A: Pigs and hogs (SWINE).
- 42A: Betty Ford, __ Bloomer (NÉE). Me: "Betty Ford, Late Bloomer? That's an awfully strange nickname."
- 47A: Hearing requirements (EARS). Weird clue.
- 48A: Displaying buoyancy (AFLOAT).
- 6D: Congregation leader (PASTOR). Raise your hand if you entered priest off the P.
- 44D: Gold and silver (METALS). These days, of course, seems like the answer should be medals.
- 46D: Part of NOW (WOMEN). National Organization for Women.


- 23A: Variety of lily (SEGO).
- 29A: Speed Wagon maker (REO).
- 42A: Betty Ford, __ Bloomer (NÉE).
- 51A: Periodic table no. (AT. WT.).
- 61A: School on the Thames (ETON).
- 2D: Each (A POP).
- 4D: "Entourage" agent Gold (ARI).
- 8D: Mauna __ (LOA).
- 19D: One-named Deco designer (ERTÉ).
- 48D: Church recess (APSE).
- 51D: Culture medium (AGAR).
0 Comments:
Post a Comment