A mistake which is worth not making.
http://www.hcunite.com/?tag=track-and-field
Coach's Observation on Jeevanesh's performance
Today, at the start, Jeeva did the same mistake of running slow out of the start line as 800m where he lost the gold medal to Avinash.
At the start, Jeevanesh got boxed in by himself by running slow at the first 40 to 50 metres. He had to come out of the group at the curve of 200m. This was done and effort were wasted running on the outer lane of 3rd lane. This equals to running 7 metres extra at the 100m to 200m point. At 200m, he surged to reach 300m at 48sec. From here he led the group. Jonathan of RJC was chasing Jeevanesh first. Around 700m mark, boldly Zhiming came in front to push the pace for about 400m, if I can remember. At the 400m, Jeevanesh was leading the pack, opening up the gap. However, Zhiming kept at it with determination and clawed back his lost distance. Jeevanesh was at the last 300m and realised that it was a common sense thing to open up to win the race. Knowing that Zhiming was behind, he kept pulling until the 150mark where Jeevanesh started to pull away from Mardi. From last 300m to last 120m, Mardi from Rjc had gained the lost strike and were set to win the 1500m race with his partner Zhiming. However, at the last 5--60metres, a last minute surge made Jeeva to lead by 2-3metres. Eventually, Jeevanesh crossed the line in a time of 4m 22sec. He could have done well if he was not boxed in by the runners. The race was a very tactical race.
Jeevanesh's View on his 1500m Race
I went out fast but, I got boxed in from the rest of the runners from the outer lanes. I didn't want to repeat another 800m and thus, I fought my way out till the 150m mark. In doing this, I had to go to the 2-3 lane, which was abit of waste of energy. Then, I started to push the pace from the 200m mark. I hit the 300m mark at 0:48. I carried on the pace till the 700m mark. Then, Zhi Ming overtook me, pushing the pace. So, I decided to follow him. By the 1000m mark, I overtook him back at carried on the lead. Then, came along Madhi. Now, it was between both of us for the finish. I up-ed the pace from the last 300m. Madhi still didn't give up and followed me neck to neck. By the 150m mark, I knew I could finish him off with my last kick. I wanted to kick at the last 100m but instead, I kicked earlier at the 130m mark. This gave me a 1s lead. By this time, I knew the race was mine. I pushed myself to the finish with a time of 04:22.
I wasn't happy with the timing, but the positive thing I could get from the race is that I ended as the champion of A Division 1500m race. Another would be that without speed training, I am able to do a close 04:20 timing. I believe with speed training, I can do a sub 04:10 in time to come. That will be a goal for me to achieve either in ASEAN school games or in the up-coming Allcomers Meet. Even, for 800m, a sub 02:00. For next year, I will go all-out to defend my champ title and break the A - DIV record of 04:06 or even do a sub 04:00. I'm/possible.
Achievements so far for the year 2010
1st Allcomers Meet
1000m - 02:45 - 2nd
800m - 02:08 - 3rd
SAA Cross Country 2010
Under 20 Men - 5km - 17:33 - 4th
if under 18, which is my age group, - Champion
2nd Allcomers Meet
1000m - 02:44 - 1st
1500m - 04:24 - 2nd
3rd Allcomers Meet
3000m - 9:36 - 1st
SPH relay 2010
4 X 800m - 08:40 - Team 3rd
Singapore Juniors 2010
3000m - 09:30 - 1st
National School Cross Country Championships 2010
4.6km - 15:35 - 2nd
Nationals Sch Track and Field Championships 2010
800m - 02:04 - 3rd
1500m - 04:22 - 1st
Interview Questions to Jeevanesh - 1500m Gold Medal Performance
Interviewer: How did you feel before the race?
Jeevan: I felt both excited and nervous. I knew that the race was mine but I also did not want to be too complacent as well.
Interviewer: What was your strategy for the race?
Jeevan: My initial strategy was to hit 49s for the first 300m. Then, a 02:10 for 800m. 03:00 for 1100m mark. Lastly, to do a sub 4:10. This was constantly in my mind before the race. However, during the race, it was a different story altogether.
Interviewer: Was it worth it?
Jeevan: I would say a yes and a no. It was worth it at the start, as I pushed the pace from the 200m mark. I didn't expect anyone to follow my pace but I think some did. I could stand the pace up to the 700m mark while others might not, causing them to slow down at the end. I think I slowed down abit as I was also getting tired of the fast pace due to the start, where I had to used extra energy to come out from the box. Then, Zhi Ming overtook me. I followed him as I slowly started to conserve my energy for the last 300m. By the last 400m, Mahdi and I were neck to neck. I up-ed the pace at the last 300m and gave a strong kick at the last 120m to take the lead by a second.
Interviewer: How did you feel about the race?
Jeevan: The race was quite tactical. I got boxed-in from the start and managed to break free from it at the 150m mark. After that, it was my own race.
Interviewer: What made you to win the race?
Jeevan: I believe it was my desire to win the race and the strong kick at the end, which was developed mentally since I was primary 5.
Interviewer: Did you enjoy the race?
Jeevan: I enjoyed the race, especially during the part where I pushed the pace and the last 100m winning kick. However, I wasn't satisfied with the time because I knew that it wasn't my potential. However, overall I'm happy as it was my first time being a champion for a National Schools' Track and Field Championships.
Interviewer: I heard that your parents were there. How did they feel about your achievement?
Jeevan: It was their first time seeing me compete at this level. They were glad and proud of me in coming in champion.
Interviewer: Which event did you felt easier? Cross Country, 3000m, 1500m or 800m.
Jeevan: I believe that my pet event is 1500m. However, my stamina improved alot due to the trainings for Cross Country and with the certain speed I had, I could run at a faster pace for the long distance and still finish strong. However, I didn't train much on speed especially for the events such as 800m and 1500m. Thus, I would say I felt easier for the 3000m race.
For further reading, please refer to Red Sports.
http://redsports.sg/2010/04/18/jeevanesh-soundarajah-hci-1500m/ Report by Soh Ruiyong
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Latest News: Jeevanesh - 1500m winner of Nat Sch Track and Field (U20)
Posted by creation of the nation at 12:11 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment