Thursday, April 22, 2010

THURSDAY, April 22, 2010 — Jack McInturff


Theme: "Lily Tomlin" — Theme answers are familiar phrases the first word of which is a type of lily.


Theme answers:

  • 18A: Father of Sam and Charlie (TIGER WOODS).
  • 20A: South Pacific site of large stone statues (EASTER ISLAND).
  • 35A: Continuously (DAY AFTER DAY).
  • 54A: Asian draft animal (WATER BUFFALO).
  • 57A: "All of Me" actress whose first name is a hint to this puzzle's theme (LILY TOMLIN).
I'm running late this morning so this will be quick. I thought this was a perfectly serviceable puzzle. No major complaints. Well, I'm not crazy about seeing TIGER WOODS in my grid these days but you probably shouldn't get me started. Haven't seen "The Soloist," with Jamie Foxx co-starring Robert DOWNEY, Jr., but it looks pretty interesting (9D: "The Soloist" co-star). I'm not sure that FALSE FACE is a thing (34A: Mask), and the last letter I put in the grid was the X at the cross of NO-TAX and MEAT AX (64A: Feature of Oregon sales / 43D: Spareribs separator). I couldn't make sense of either of those clues. Sorry to blog and run, but that's just how it is today. Have fun in the comments.

Crosswordese 101: ADELA Rogers St. Johns is an author/writer/journalist. Do I know anything about her? Why no. No, I don't. I just know that's her name and so far that has served me pretty well.

Everything Else — 1A: Tsp. and tbsp. (AMTS.); 5A: Old orchard spray (ALAR); 9A: Abu __ (DHABI); 14A: Separate by color, say (SORT); 15A: Angle function (SINE); 16A: Barely flowed (OOZED); 17A: Hairy "pet" (CHIA); 22A: Casual evenings (NITES); 23A: Dull (TIRESOME); 27A: One might be snappy (DRESSER); 30A: Anti vote (NAY); 31A: __ Kan: Alpo rival (KAL); 32A: Some game enders (MATES); 34A: They come and go (FADS); 39A: Enter (GO IN); 41A: Search stealthily (PROWL); 42A: Abate (EBB); 43A: Rosemary's portrayer (MIA); 46A: Hides (STASHES); 50A: Mind (LISTEN TO); 53A: Clinton Labor secretary Robert (REICH); 60A: __ on the shoulder (A TAP); 61A: Author __ Rogers St. Johns (ADELA); 62A: __ sci (POLI); 63A: Pointed end (CUSP); 65A: Singles (ONES); 66A: Latin I word (ESSE); 1D: Go up (ASCEND); 2D: Angora fabric (MOHAIR); 3D: Sad, to Sarkozy (TRISTE); 4D: Churchill or Roosevelt, e.g. (STATESMAN); 5D: Star sci. (ASTR.); 6D: 10% of DXXX (LIII); 7D: Apprehension (ANGST); 8D: Catch from a pier (REEL IN); 10D: Robbery accessories (HOODS); 11D: Nitrogen-based dye (AZO); 12D: Something that goes with breakfast? (BED); 13D: Psyche parts (IDS); 19D: Avis lead-in (RARA); 21D: Samuel Johnson work (ESSAY); 24D: "You bet" ("OKAY"); 25D: Alfred E. Neuman is its mascot (MAD); 26D: Overhead transports (ELS); 28D: LAX posting (ETA); 29D: Court decision maker (REF); 33D: Indy 500 advertiser (STP); 34D: Mask (FALSE FACE); 35D: Ownership call (DIBS); 36D: Speech hesitations (ERS); 37D: Malarkey (ROT); 38D: Happy, for one (DWARF); 39D: Hair stiffener (GEL); 40D: Geisha's sash (OBI); 44D: Keen on (INTO); 45D: Musical direction after ritardando, perhaps (A TEMPO); 47D: Gap (HIATUS); 48D: Mercedes sedan category (E CLASS); 49D: Quaint retail word (SHOPPE); 51D: Tony winner Tharp (TWYLA); 52D: Sweater synthetic (ORLON); 55D: Peevishness (BILE); 56D: Les États-__ (UNIS); 57D: Data-sharing syst. (LAN); 58D: Chapel vow (I DO); 59D: Ease, with "up" (LET).

0 Comments: