Tuesday, May 4, 2010

TUESDAY, May 4, 2010 — Victor Barocas


Theme: Wise Words — Theme answers are familiar phrases that contain two contiguous Ys.


Theme answers:

  • 20A: Roger Clemens has won it seven times (CY YOUNG AWARD).
  • 27A: Tammy Wynette classic (STAND BY YOUR MAN).
  • 46A: 1618-'48 conflict (THIRTY YEARS' WAR).
  • 53A: Sunny color (CANARY YELLOW).
  • 58D: There are contiguous pairs of them in 20-, 27-, 46- and 53-Across (WYES).


Awesome, awesome puzzle today. I don't recognize the constructor's name and I'm thinking this might be a debut. If so, well done, sir! Now, after that little bit of gushing I'll say the theme wasn't all that exciting. But, two of theme answers have a little sparkle to them and the fill is very nice. And even where the fill isn't fantastic, the cluing is good. I don't know. This puzzle just tickled my fancy for some reason. I hope we see more from Victor.

Highlights:
  • 34A: Cuttlefish pigment (SEPIA). I don't know what a cuttlefish is, but it sounds cool.
  • 43A: The Berenstain Bears live in one (TREE). I enjoy it when we parents of young kids get a shout-out. It doesn't happen often.
  • 59A: Steal, as cargo (HIJACK). I've had my Facebook status update thread hijacked a couple times.
  • 63A: Criticize harshly (SCATHE). Not sure I like SCATHE as a verb, but it still sounds cool. See also 27D: Get really hot (SEETHE).
  • 8D: Operetta with Nanki-Poo and Yum-Yum, with "The" (MIKADO). I don't think The MIKADO qualifies as crosswordese, but you should keep these character names in mind for the future. Speaking of kids' shows, Nanki-Poo and Yum-Yum kinda sound like Teletubbies to me.
  • 18D: Nightclub in a Manilow song (COPA). Click the video. You know you want to.


  • 39D: Little John was one of them (MERRY MEN). Was just talking about Robin Hood this weekend ….
  • 60D: Rocks for a Black Russian (ICE). Did anyone else go, "Wait. There are black people in Russia?" No, I didn't think so.
Crosswordese 101 Round-up:
  • 17A / 50A: South American shocker (ELECTRIC EEL).
  • 11D: Prince Valiant's son (ARN).
  • 30D: "Fiddler on the Roof" matchmaker (YENTE).
  • 36D: Berlin article (DER).
  • 38D: Altar in the sky (ARA).
  • 54D: Some TVs (RCAS).
  • 57D: Shamu, for one (ORCA).
  • 59D: FDR's last VP (HST).
Everything Else — 1A: Common URL ender (ORG); 4A: Make chocolate milk, e.g. (STIR); 8A: Wisdom teeth, e.g. (MOLARS); 14A: For each (PER); 15A: Volkswagen subsidiary (AUDI); 16A: Trapped by routine (IN A RUT); 17A: With 50-Across, (ELECTRIC); 19A: Pet's home away from home (KENNEL); 22A: Opposite of post- (PRE-); 23A: Fuss (ADO); 24A: Contingencies (IFS); 32A: Corp. bigwig (CEO); 33A: Confident (SURE); 35A: Tear to shreds (REND); 37A: First commercial carrier to use the Boeing 747 (PAN-AM); 40A: Well-done, as toast (DARK); 41A: On the ocean (AT SEA); 45A: Actor Marvin (LEE); 50A: See 17-Across (EEL); 51A: __ kwon do (TAE); 52A: 1 or 66, e.g.: Abbr. (RTE.); 62A: Ghost story setting (CEMETERY); 64A: "Up and __!" (AT 'EM); 65A: Dogfight winner, perhaps (ACE); 66A: Tightened (up) (TENSED); 67A: Confessional revelations (SINS); 68A: Ballet step (PAS); 1D: Cartel that added Angola in 2007 (OPEC); 2D: Count (on) (RELY); 3D: Earl known for tea (GREY); 4D: Ion and Vue, in the auto industry (SATURNS); 5D: Appeared (TURNED UP); 6D: Hippie's "Understood" ("I DIG"); 7D: Costa __ (RICA); 9D: Burdensome (ONEROUS); 10D: Finish a flight (LAND); 11D: Prince Valiant's son (ARN); 12D: Regret (RUE); 13D: Letters on a Cardinal's cap (STL); 21D: Manner (WAY); 24D: Savanna grazer (IMPALA); 25D: Snow White, vis-à-vis the queen (FAIRER); 26D: Rattler, for one (SNAKE); 28D: Throat tissue (TONSIL); 29D: Lingerie support item (BRA); 30D: "Fiddler on the Roof" matchmaker (YENTE); 31D: Wine choice (RED); 32D: Slatted box (CRATE); 36D: Berlin article (DER); 38D: Altar in the sky (ARA); 42D: Embassy diplomat (ATTACHÉ); 44D: Regards highly (ESTEEMS); 47D: Pulled hard (YANKED); 48D: Vote in favor (YEA); 49D: Whip mark (WELT); 53D: Musical based on Eliot poems (CATS); 54D: Some TVs (RCAS); 55D: Himalayan legend (YETI); 56D: Quantum event? (LEAP); 57D: Shamu, for one (ORCA); 59D: FDR's last VP (HST); 61D: Yr. starter (JAN.).

0 Comments: