This poem "A Lifetime in 5 Years" (I thought of that title in like, a second - lame, I know) is our entry for the 'Original Composition' poetry/speech section of Mahi Toi, which means "The Arts" in Maori (I think!), NZ's indigenous language/ethnicity. Whatever. Anyway this is a two days arts festival at Garin, held annually and there's no classes and everyone has to perform at least 2 pieces in a variety of different things - the more you do the more house points and everyone spectates.
I've actually managed to talk it up, normally it's pretty boring & everyone ends up watching the horror that is SCRIPTURE. So fucking boring, I will die if I have to watch it. Jesus Christ, although you are the world's savour, suck it.
This is Robert & I's poem. Enjoy. (he'll deny it, but I assure you it's 99% mine).
Bold = Robert
Normal = Joey
Once upon a time, in the land of year nine,
Two pupils came along, both by God’s bind.
Nervously we assembled & sat in the gym,
The powhiri began, led by Matua Pimm.
Shortly thereafter, we joined with B4,
And met Mrs Ditchfield, who was full of ‘amor’.
First I had English, in 9A, with Mrs Mac,
Who right from the get-go, got me on track.
If room service was called, it set a bad mood,
At first we’d expected, not punishment, but food.
Year 9 camp was a hell-hole, we starved at deep creek.
Forced down a rock face, the pain was unique.
As for year 10’s, the backpackers were cheap,
Year 10’s being year 10’s, there wasn’t much sleep.
In 10R we were together, but a friendship we lacked.
Though now four years later, our friendship's a pact.
2008 we were seniors, blazers we wore
With Miss Tonk’s favourite line “You’ll grow into it”, I’m sure
NCEA was upon us, level one was our aim
The thought of school colours was the name of the game
Gretchen reformed Shadez Cafe
I worked at the Canteen every Thursday
Year 12 saw us grow up, and into young adults,
Was also the last year for food teacher Miss Colt.
Our last year at Garin, we know each other quite well
We all know at prize giving, it’ll be hard to farewell
After all the experiences we have gained at Garin,
Nothing will change us like our German friend Helen.
Joey Sauer & Robert Gunn.
Monday, June 21, 2010
A Lifetime in 5 Years
Posted by creation of the nation at 5:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment