Tuesday, June 15, 2010

TUESDAY, June 15, 2010 — Robert Fisher

Theme: Hair Pieces — Theme answers are familiar phrases that begin or end with hair cutting/styling items.


Theme answers:

  • 21A: *"The simplest solution is usually correct" principle (OCCAM'S RAZOR).
  • 46A: *Speedy square-rigger (CLIPPER SHIP).
  • 3D: *Bees' creation (HONEYCOMB).
  • 32D: *Fast-spreading blaze, perhaps (BRUSHFIRE).
  • 50D: Target for items found in the answers to starred clues (HAIR).



I'm just need to say right up front that I'm not gonna give this puzzle the attention it deserves. I had a super busy day at work and I have to go in early tomorrow so I'm a little pressed for time. I enjoyed this puzzle. I like all the theme entries but the fact that HAIR is the thing that holds them all together? Kinda blah, right? Oh well. I guess we can't have everything. I know you all got 1 Across right off the bat because of last week's CW101, though, right? I knew I was good for something around here! I see some words I like and some clues I like, but I'm just feeling really stressed about getting to bed so I'm afraid you'll have to fill in the details in the comments. (Sorry! I'll do better! I promise!)

[Follow PuzzleGirl on Twitter.]

Everything Else — 1A: Soda since the 1920s (NEHI); 5A: "Get lost!" ("SCRAM!"); 10A: Hangs (around with) (PALS); 14A: Sour milk tip-off (ODOR); 15A: Barter (TRADE); 16A: Elide (OMIT); 17A: Tomato ripening spot (VINE); 18A: Tiny bits (IOTAS); 19A: Bear with cold porridge (MAMA); 20A: Absorbed, as a loss (ATE); 23A: Tugs (YANKS); 25A: Where the Styx flows (HADES); 26A: Repeating series (CYCLES); 28A: Solid or liquid, e.g. (STATE); 30A: Nocturnal forest sounds (HOOTS); 31A: Turns on the waterworks, so to speak (BAWLS); 32A: Sports car protector (BRA); 35A: Writer Bombeck (ERMA); 36A: Sentry's duty (VIGIL); 37A: It may be mopped or furrowed (BROW); 38A: Spider's "parlor" (WEB); 39A: Jaunty cap (BERET); 40A: Something to fight for (CAUSE); 41A: Surfacing diver's concern, with "the" (BENDS); 42A: Ready to strike (POISED); 43A: Composer Edvard (GRIEG); 45A: What some serum elicits? (TRUTH); 49A: Govt. mtge. insurer (FHA); 52A: Popular trend (RAGE); 53A: Lavish celebrations (FETES); 54A: Primitive timekeeper (DIAL); 55A: Bone-dry (ARID); 56A: Render harmless, as a gunman (UNARM); 57A: Spring bloomer (IRIS); 58A: River bottoms (BEDS); 59A: Cerebral segments (LOBES); 60A: Fiddling emperor (NERO); 1D: Bygone Chevy compact (NOVA); 2D: Make changes to (EDIT); 4D: Choler (IRE); 5D: Remote area, with "the" (STICKS); 6D: Swamp swimmers (CROCS); 7D: Pro __ (RATA); 8D: "The Wealth of Nations" author Smith (ADAM); 9D: Soldier's eatery (MESS HALL); 10D: 50-Down ointment (POMADE); 11D: Leave in shock (AMAZE); 12D: Upscale rides (LIMOS); 13D: Brigadier general's insignia (STAR); 21D: Binary system digits (ONES); 22D: "Phooey!" ("RATS!"); 24D: Calgary's prov. (ALTA.); 26D: Masticate (CHEW); 27D: Olden times (YORE); 28D: Swamis (SAGES); 29D: Idiot, to a Brit (TWIT); 31D: Celtic great Larry (BIRD); 33D: Pink wine (ROSE); 34D: Impressed profoundly (AWED); 36D: Seeking payback (VENGEFUL); 37D: Worm on a line (BAIT); 39D: Electronic alert (BEEP); 40D: Cabal's plan (COUP); 41D: Kangaroos and humans, e.g. (BIPEDS); 42D: Light benders (PRISMS); 43D: Harsh light (GLARE); 44D: Unbending (RIGID); 45D: When repeated, comforting words (THERE); 46D: "Hermit" crustacean (CRAB); 47D: Ashcroft's predecessor (RENO); 48D: Wild guess (STAB); 51D: Moreover (ALSO); 54D: Confused roar (DIN).

0 Comments: