Wednesday, June 16, 2010

WEDNESDAY, June 16, 2010 — Pancho Harrison

Theme: You Can Tune a Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish — Music puns!


Theme answers:

  • 17A: Songs by German wolves? (LIEDER OF THE PACK).
  • 36A: Obvious melody? (AIR APPARENT).
  • 58A: Intonations from the monastery locker room? (CHANTS OF SHOWERS).
As far as puns go, this theme isn't half bad. I especially enjoyed CHANTS OF SHOWERS and the visual the clue supplied in my head. I know I keep saying this, but it just keeps on being true: With only three theme entries, I would think the grid had some room for some exciting entries. REVAMP (33A: Overhaul) is nice, and IN AND OUT has a great clue (11D: Hard to reach at the office, say). I probably would have enjoyed seeing the clue for SANDALS (22A: Huaraches, e.g.) if it hadn't bring back the unfortunate memory of how I learned what huaraches are. I learned it from "Surfin' USA" — which doesn't seem so bad until you find out that it was Leif Garrett's version.


Ya know, I think about my tween years (which, of course, weren't actually called "tween years" back then) and the music I was listening to — Donny Osmond, Sean Cassidy, Tony DeFranco (remember him???) — and I'm grateful there are girl singers for my daughter to be crazy about these days.

Anyhoo. The paired ENDED and LEFT (4D: Ran out / 7D: Ran out) add a little something to the puzzle. But other than the things I've mentioned, it was a pretty straightforward Wednesday that I solved methodically without causing too much trouble for my braincase.

Misc.:
  • 9A: Hold forth (OPINE). I wanted orate here.
  • 15A: Flash in the brainpan (IDEA). Never heard of the brainpan but I guess it's a real thing.
  • 57A: Haggard of country music (MERLE).


  • 63A: Horned goddess (ISIS). I never remember that Isis has horns. I just picture the actress from the old Saturday morning show. ("O mighty Isis!")
  • 12D: "Good shot!" ("NICE ONE!"). I do like the colloquial phrases and this one is clued perfectly.
  • 32D: Beer holders (CANS). Can't remember the last time I had beer in a can. Probably high school. Er... I mean college. (Hi, mom!)
  • 34D: Legal aides (PARAS). I've spent the majority of my professional career in law firms and have never heard paralegals referred to as PARAS.
  • 47D: Texas border city (DEL RIO). I've been there. I bet you haven't.
Crosswordese 101 Round-Up:
  • 35A: "The Clan of the Cave Bear" author (AUEL).
  • 39A: Exile isle (ELBA).
  • 66A: Plato's promenade (STOA).
  • 6D: Tokyo, before 1868 (EDO).
  • 33D: Narrow inlets (RIAS).
  • 39D: Roxy Music alum Brian (ENO).
  • 44D: Omar of "House" (EPPS).
  • 48D: Texas oil city (ODESSA).
[Follow PuzzleGirl on Twitter.]

Everything Else — 1A: Glass in a frame (PANE); 5A: Motivation target, often (SELF); 14A: Site of a Biblical plot (EDEN); 16A: Like some ancient characters (RUNIC); 20A: Farther out? (ODDER); 21A: Like some highways (TWO-LANE); 25A: Stubborn one (ASS); 26A: Blunderer's cry (D'OH); 28A: Final conclusion? (-IST); 29A: Rational (SANE); 31A: Motion support (SECOND); 41A: Accent (STRESS); 42A: Loch legend nickname (NESSIE); 45A: Reb's opponent (YANK); 46A: Hoo-ha (ADO); 49A: Feedbag morsel (OAT); 50A: O'Neill's "The Hairy __" (APE); 52A: Wooden in manner (STILTED); 54A: Tread roughly (TRAMPLE); 61A: Right-hand page (RECTO); 62A: "An Essay on Man" poet Alexander (POPE); 64A: Big name in lawn care (ORTHO); 65A: Notable periods (ERAS); 1D: First female Speaker of the House (PELOSI); 2D: Reebok rival (ADIDAS); 3D: "You __ bother" (NEEDN'T); 5D: Anthony Hopkins, for one (SIR); 8D: Islamic decree (FATWA); 9D: Threat words (OR ELSE); 10D: Insect stage after larva (PUPA); 13D: Luther opponent Johann __ (ECK); 18D: Corrective tool (ERASER); 19D: Ben Cartwright's middle son (HOSS); 23D: Soap brand with pumice (LAVA); 24D: Goes nuts (SNAPS); 27D: "Good" cholesterol, for short (HDL); 30D: Totally drained (EMPTY); 36D: Like a Jackson Pollock painting (ABSTRACT); 37D: Temporary use fee (RENT); 38D: Inuit, once (ESKIMO); 40D: Elbow patch material (LEATHER); 43D: Words of agreement (I AM TOO); 46D: Not in motion (AT REST); 51D: Run off to join a union? (ELOPE); 53D: Jerry or Jerry Lee (LEWIS); 55D: Lit. compilation (ANTH.); 56D: __ effort (E FOR); 58D: Vel attachment? (-CRO); 59D: Relaxing retreat (SPA); 60D: Dudes (HES).

0 Comments: