Friday, October 8, 2010

Movie Review: Buried

This is a new series of posts I intend to write on my blog and all related posts will be tagged and titled with "Movie Review". I will try and avoid spoilers but I apologies in advance for any spoilers I may accidentally write!



"Buried" is a 2010 Spanish English-language indie thriller-horror film directed by Rodrigo Cortés. It stars Ryan Reynolds and is about a contractor, Paul Conroy, working in Iraq who is attacked, knocked out and awakes to find himself buried underground in a coffin with only a mobile phone, a lighter, a torch, a pencil and his own senses. After receiving contact from the man who had kidnapped him and is holding him for ransom for $5 million "money" which he must obtain through phone calls. With only 90 minutes until his oxygen supply runs out, he must make the decision to comply with his kidnappers or place his trust with the American authorities.

I found this movie amazingly suspenseful, skillfully directed and terrifically acted! Ryan Reynolds really proved he has some good acting chops and definitely can handle more serious roles than I believe he's been given before, as I'm not expecting "acting ability" to be the starring feature in the upcoming "Green Lantern" film based on the DC Comic superhero. I completely recommend this movie to any viewers!

Only negatives I would say are... well at the risk of giving away a somewhat spoiler, it gets a little tedious and I guess a predictable ending, still, the movie has many twists of turns and is extremely inventive in how they film Ryan inside of a coffin.

★★★★

0 Comments: