Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon - Ashley Liew's aim, sub 2hr 40min

Ashley Liew - Aiming for a sub 2hrs 40min for the coming Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2010.

In next Issue : Mr Lim Thow Wee (10th in Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2008)

As the 16th Asian Games in Guangzhou, in China, and Singapore Standard Chartered marathon are fast approaching, I have decided to cover on the middle and long distance events of track and field events during the Games and on the local runners running in the Dec 5 (Sunday) Singapore Standard Chartered marathon (SSCM) 2010. In the SSCM, it will be good to find out on how our Singapore top marathoners are training and goal-setting. In this issue, I would like to discuss on Ashley Liew, second local in the Singapore Standard Chartered marathon 2009. From last year, he has been training very hard for both triathlon and marathon. He has shown significant improvements in the recent races as compared to the distance races a year back. As such, as part of interviews to several local marathoners currently training for the Singapore Standard Chartered marathon, I would like to first touch on Ashley Liew on his aims and goals in running.

An Interview with Ashley Liew.

Picture 1 - Ashley Liew, aiming for  a sub 2hr 40min.


Can you share with us on your success between Sec 1 and Pre-U 2 when you were doing sports? Can you also state the sports you were involved in?
During secondary school I was not involved in any sports CCA. I did play recreational golf and tennis weekly. In JC, I wanted to try a sport so I went into canoeing and dragonboat: it was the only sport that did not have a trial (I had no proper sports background). The training involved was tough and it gave me mental resilience. My only race success was being part of the winning A-division dragonboat team, as well as qualifying for A-division canoeing semi-finals.

What is the sport that you are passionate in?
I love running and triathlon. That is all that occupies (and excites) me, especially after army.

How do you balance between studies and triathlon/running?
It is tough. Training is usually every day, either early morning or late at night. At the same time I am in school every weekday with lessons, projects, and assignments. I do not have much time for socializing or relaxing, so I’m very grateful to all my friends for understanding. Sacrifices are tough but necessary.

How is your parents’ support in sports?
My mother was very supportive: she came down for some of my races, always made my breakfast no matter how early in the morning, and was always happy to hear I am doing well. Sadly she passed away earlier this year: when I do sports I have her in fond memory. My father is also very supportive, so much so that he is familiar with almost all my training buddies.

How is your girlfriend's support in sports?

Picture 2 -  Zeling, Ashley Liew's girlfriend is a supportive partner towards Ashley's passion.




Nothing short of fantastic. Zeling really understands the sacrifices I have to put into doing what I do and I am very fortunate to have all her constant encouragement.

Can you share with us your personal best time for 10km between year 2005 and 2010?
I have done 39min 21.98sec in 2008. Last year, my personal best was 38min 20.31sec. Having this as a personal best for 10km, I was able to come in second in the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2009.

On 24th Oct 2010, while running in the Inter-Varsity Track and Field Championships 2010, I did 35min 33.17sec. Very recently, I did 34min 58sec in last week's time-trial. I am hoping to do a personal best time of sub 33mins by this year or at least by next year. My coach says that I am capable of this time. He says that it is just a matter of time, that's all.

Are you happy with the Inter-varsity 10km performance?
No. I had a disappointing race not because I did not prepare much for it but because I did not control my pace earlier on. Still, I am satisfied if I plainly compare it to my previous personal best.

How is your form in the coming Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2010?
I feel strong but not over-confident. I just want to race hard and give it my best shot.

What kind of time are you aiming for?
Sub-2h40min.

Are you going for position or timing?
My focus is more on the timing.

Who do you think will be giving you the competition?
Mok Ying Ren will definitely be stiff competition: he won this last year in his first attempt and I am sure he has more in store this year. There is definitely other competition around but it is hard to tell for sure until race day.

Can you share with us on your win last year as the first runner's up?
It was an exhilarating feeling to be announced runner-up. My previous marathon time did not offer a very good gauge, so some form of uncertainty still remained until I crossed the finish. I felt I owed it to my coach Mr Rameshon, my parents, and friends. I know they were proud but I knew I could do better.

What is your short-term and long-term goal in marathon?
I would love to qualify for the SEA Games marathon in 2011, and hopefully win a medal one day.
What do you intend to be when you leave Singapore Management University?
I am still undecided but it is likely to be in the banking industry. If the opportunity presents itself upon graduation though, I would very much want to continue sports seriously.

What message would you like to send to youngsters who would like to take up running seriously?
It is never too late to start running seriously but if you do, be prepared to work hard and make sure you enjoy the process.

0 Comments: