Thursday, December 2, 2010

Elaine Lim Su Lin - One of Singapore's Top Long Distance Runner

Next Issue - Standard Chartered Marathon 2009 winner Mok Ying Ren.

Elaine Lim - Running in the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2010

I thought that it would be a good idea to introduce to runners on a person who  has been consistently coming in top 3 in Singapore for most of the races. This is a person who usually smile whenever she talks. She is none other than Elaine Lim Su Lin, a runner who has been coached for a long time by my former History lecturer, Dr Goh Chor Boon, from NIE, when I was a teacher-trainee from the then College of Physical Education. As I know Dr Goh, he used to train my friend by the name of Ravindran who was one of the top runner in the middle and long distance between 1986 and 1992. Over time, Ravindran became a Physical Education teacher. Dr Goh, as a mentor-coach is a very passionate person when it comes to running. I used to see his office covered with photos of top runners of the world.

Coming back to Elaine Lim, she is a good role model who also trains and at the same time, in the past, brought Catholic Junior College to become one of the top school in National Schools' Cross-Country. She can been still seen training by herself in Macritchie Reservoir and CCAB. I met Elaine in Macritchie last week, I also found out that she is running in the Standard Chartered Marathon (Singapore) 2010. I thought that it would be a good idea to inspire runners of Singapore and decided to interview her. Hence, let us here  her interesting  answers before running in the Standard Chartered Marathon (Singapore) 2010.

Interview With Elaine Lim

Picture 1 - Elaine Lim came in as the champion in the Shape Run 2010 with a time of 19min 38seconds(5km).


What is your personal best timing for 800m, 1500m , 5000, 10km. half-marathon and marathon?
800m/1500m – Never ran it before
5000m – 19min 08sec
10 km – 40min 08sec
Half Marathon – 1hr 29min 29sec
Marathon – 3hr 20sec

Are you training by yourself or by a coach?
I am training with a coach, Dr Goh Chor Boon

Picture 2 - Elaine Lim, running consistently and smoothly in one of the race.

What is your strategy for this race?
I am going to try to keep consistent, feel fresh especially the first half of the way. Focus with keeping the pace.



What made you to take part in this marathon?
I have been doing the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2010 for the last 3 years and it is kind of like the concluding race of the year each year. But essentially, I just love running I guess.

What do you think about the new route this year?

Looking forward to it though I rather them stick to a consistent route each year.

Any offer of advice to marathoners who just want to do sub 5hrs for this race?

Pace yourself well, be patient especially at the start of the race and try to keep fresh as far as possible!

How has your training been?
Training has been quite good. At times I find it a little challenging to juggle with work, studies and other social aspects of my life but I still try at best to be consistent with my training.

Who are your competitors?
The many female runners who are attempting a 3 and a half hour marathon.

Can you share on how one could exercise and work at the same time?
It is about discipline and commitment to your goal. If you are clear with what you want to achieve, then the discipline and commitment to train will naturally fall into place. May it be waking up earlier to squeeze in the run before work or readjusting your schedule so that a run can fit in somewhere. I feel that it is about commitment towards your goal and the discipline to achieve it.

How is your parental support?
I get 100% support from them. Dad and mom are my favorite supporters. I started running only in university (played tennis and netball in school)and they have been encouraging me and supporting me in every step of the way. In fact, I started running because of my dad. He used to run quite a lot and he said that running makes you reflect, think about anything (the day, your work… anything!)












0 Comments: