Next Issue - Mok Ying Rong
Standard Chartered Marathon 2010 - Post Race Recovery
Standard Chartered Marathon 2010 - Post Race Recovery
Picture 1- (Left to Right) Yong Liang, Galen, Nathaniel Wong, Yeo Si Heng, Jeevanesh, Lester, Jian Hong, Ashley, Rameshon, Darren Nin and Oon Shui Kun
After the race, this photo was taken and tagged in my facebook. I find the definition of the photo so good that I decided to put in this section of the blog.
Post Race Recovery
Immediately, after a race, one should just keep walking and not stopping. When you stop and wait for some time, you will find it difficult to walk, especially when you go down a staircase. That was how I felt after many marathon races. Most of the time, I had to limp my way home. Hence, it is a good idea to go walk 1km to 2km. Maybe, it is a good idea to get a light, not hard, massage to get the metabolites from the blood and expedite recovery. One could get diluted isotonic water and keep drinking throughout the day for every 30min to 1hr. Hydration enables one to avoid gettting dehydrated. Stretching would help a person to also speed up recovery by loosing the tense muscles, after a run, getting unwanted metabolites from the blood to be cleared.
Studies have shown that it is a good idea to keep hydrating the body with water for the first few days. One should avoid coffee as it dehydrates the body and gets a person tired. Hydrating the body with water will make one to recover faster.
I remember when Paula Radcliffe had broken the world record to 2hrs 15min, I was told that she usually soak herself into the bath tub with ice. I felt that Paula had the discipline to do that. In another instance, in 1995, before my Boston Marathon race, I was told in a talk that a shower in cold water will speed up the process of recovery. It was also told that it is not a good idea not to have hot shower. Hot shower, after a race, delays recovery.
Picture 2 - Paula Radcliffe - The world record holder of women marathon has given birth to two children takes to icing the body for quick recovery.
http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/201011084457/hello/exclusive/paula-radcliffe/1/
I remember when Paula Radcliffe had broken the world record to 2hrs 15min, I was told that she usually soak herself into the bath tub with ice. I felt that Paula had the discipline to do that. In another instance, in 1995, before my Boston Marathon race, I was told in a talk that a shower in cold water will speed up the process of recovery. It was also told that it is not a good idea not to have hot shower. Hot shower, after a race, delays recovery.
Picture 2 - Paula Radcliffe - The world record holder of women marathon has given birth to two children takes to icing the body for quick recovery.
http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/201011084457/hello/exclusive/paula-radcliffe/1/
Let us find out from the marathoners what they will do to speed up recovery. We asked two of our group members.
Lim Thow Wee - For this week, I am going to spend time with my wife. I will not be running for this week at all. I will do stretching when ever I find time. The following week, I shall start the week with some light runs.
Ashley Liew - My muscles are very tight even now. I just want to relax for this week. I am going to go for sports massage in order to get rid of the metabolites. I will be spending time with family and friends. I will continue to hydrate the body by drinking water for the next few days, which I have been doing. I will be doing a lot of stretching. I am using ice pack to loosen the tight muscles.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment