Thursday, December 30, 2010

May Yong, Singapore Sports School Athlete in Australia

May Yong - Aspiring To Be An Elite Marathoner


Picture 1 - May Yong, going the distance towards the end of the race.



May Yong, who is 17 years of age is now studying in Australia for Victorian Certificate Education (VCE), which is equivalent to GCE 'A' Levels in Singapore. I met her today at Macritchie Reservoir. Her coach, Joseph Soh, who groomed May Yong when she was young,  was there with us. She told me details on her studies and training etc. in Glen Waverley Secondary College, Australia and is also in the Waverley Athletics Club.

I also realised that May Yong coach, Mr Joseph  Soh telling her to enjoy running rather than competing. He told her to start to compete when she reaches 20 and above. He also told her to compete against herself and not others.

Picture 2 - May Yong and Coach Joseph Soh

May Yong has the desire to be a marathoner one day and Joseph in fact, wants her to first concentrate in shorter distances and be not too serious about expectations. He told her to progress at her own time and not to panick. I find this advice wise. I find Joseph Soh an informed coach with a wealth of knowledge experience in him.

May Yong was kind enough to give a book titled '26.2 Marathon Stories'. I felt elated with this her gesture and thanked her and told that this book will helpful for my blog when I discuss on marathon. I felt appreciated today.

Hence, I decided to have an interview with her. She was lively when she was answering me.

An Interview With May Yong

Picture 3 - Joseph Soh involves himself in running while coaching May Yong


Do you join a club there in Australia?
Yes, it is called Athletics Waverley Club.

How long you have been running in Australia?
From April 2010 onwards I have been training.

Do you have coach there?
Yes, coach Terry, he comes and trains us once a week and it is usually a workout day. He individualises our training program to suit different needs.

Can you tell us on your race in Australia?
In the District level, 3km for schools, I came in first. In the zone level, which is like our national schools' cross - country championships, I came in 16th position.

I also took part in Puffing Billy Train Race 13.2km race and came in 1st for under 18 category for girls. I did 1hr 03min.

In St George Marathon (10km), I did 44m 27sec and came in 3rd for my age group.

How do you find Australia as a place?
It is a nice place to train as I don't usually sweat because of the low humidity which is very good for running. In terms of being with family and friends, I miss Singapore.

What is your future goal?
Stay committed to training and in the long term come in top three in the SEA Games. When I am about 22, I want to switch to marathon, which I feel that I am good at.

My coach Mr Joseph is very supportive of this quest that I have. The only thing he keep mentioning to me is to have fun when I am training. He has great hope for my future goals. I thank him for everything.

Wishing May Yong all the best to her future endeavours.



0 Comments: