Mok Ying Ren - The Defending Champion of Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon
Picture 1 - Mok Ying Ren is an excellent example on how to balance studies and sports
In the past, I got to know Mok Ying Ren when he had to compete with Jeffrey Ng Zhao Hong from Hwa Chong Institution. In Raffles Junior College, Mok was excelling in triathlon, cross-country and as well as in the track and field. During the second year of college, Mok and Jeffrey, had to compete with another versatile runner called Ee Ghim. It was exciting to see these three athletes competing and excelling in athletics.
Mok Ying Ren, over time, won gold medal for Singapore by coming in first in the 2007 SEA Games. In the inter-varsity races he has been an undisputed champion in many events that span between 3000m and 10000m. Currently, the only one who can be a worthy opponent in these races is Chamkaur Singh. Only these two athletes have been able to do sub 15min 30sec for 5000m as Singaporeans.
Having said that, recently Mok had done two 1hr 10min marathons, one in overseas and one the other in Malaysia. As such, in future, Mok is predicted to go faster over time in running. Not only he is a person who is good in running, but he is also good in studies as well. It is good for student-athlete to learn from Mok's on how to balance studies and training. He is studying medicine and has been training consistently. Moreover, it is good for the long distance runners from Singapore to know this fine young men who has determination and courage to better the time every year.
His sister, Mok Ying Rong, is also excelling in studies and running. In many races, she has shown herself to be a very good runner who has the potential to make it to SEA Games of the future if everything goes right.
Picture 2 - Mok Ying Rong (left) is successful in long distance like her brother Mok Ying Ren
In this year's marathon, Mok's nearest rival seems to be only Ashley Liew from Singapore Management University. Mok was first and Ashley was second in the last year's race. As an observer, I believe Mok and Ashley are both capable of bettering the marathon time in Singapore. Mok has already broken the half-marathon national record. Hence, it is in the best interest of the marathoners running the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2010 to know about this gentleman that I decided to hold a fortunate interview with him. Therefore, let us hear his deep thoughts from the answers he has given from the interview questions that I have given.
Picture 3 - Mok Ying Ren in action during a race
Link to Mok Ying Ren
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mok-Ying-Ren/55123634845?ref=ts
An Interview With Mok Ying Ren
Picture 1 - Mok Ying Ren is an excellent example on how to balance studies and sports
In the past, I got to know Mok Ying Ren when he had to compete with Jeffrey Ng Zhao Hong from Hwa Chong Institution. In Raffles Junior College, Mok was excelling in triathlon, cross-country and as well as in the track and field. During the second year of college, Mok and Jeffrey, had to compete with another versatile runner called Ee Ghim. It was exciting to see these three athletes competing and excelling in athletics.
Mok Ying Ren, over time, won gold medal for Singapore by coming in first in the 2007 SEA Games. In the inter-varsity races he has been an undisputed champion in many events that span between 3000m and 10000m. Currently, the only one who can be a worthy opponent in these races is Chamkaur Singh. Only these two athletes have been able to do sub 15min 30sec for 5000m as Singaporeans.
Having said that, recently Mok had done two 1hr 10min marathons, one in overseas and one the other in Malaysia. As such, in future, Mok is predicted to go faster over time in running. Not only he is a person who is good in running, but he is also good in studies as well. It is good for student-athlete to learn from Mok's on how to balance studies and training. He is studying medicine and has been training consistently. Moreover, it is good for the long distance runners from Singapore to know this fine young men who has determination and courage to better the time every year.
His sister, Mok Ying Rong, is also excelling in studies and running. In many races, she has shown herself to be a very good runner who has the potential to make it to SEA Games of the future if everything goes right.
Picture 2 - Mok Ying Rong (left) is successful in long distance like her brother Mok Ying Ren
In this year's marathon, Mok's nearest rival seems to be only Ashley Liew from Singapore Management University. Mok was first and Ashley was second in the last year's race. As an observer, I believe Mok and Ashley are both capable of bettering the marathon time in Singapore. Mok has already broken the half-marathon national record. Hence, it is in the best interest of the marathoners running the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2010 to know about this gentleman that I decided to hold a fortunate interview with him. Therefore, let us hear his deep thoughts from the answers he has given from the interview questions that I have given.
Picture 3 - Mok Ying Ren in action during a race
Link to Mok Ying Ren
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mok-Ying-Ren/55123634845?ref=ts
An Interview With Mok Ying Ren
Can you share with us on your gold medal victory in SEA Games 2007 in triathlon?
The 2007 sea games triathlon was one of my favourite races. I was not only the youngest but also I was an amatuer athlete who needed to juggle my first year medical studies while many of my competitiors were professional athletes. I tried to qualify for the sea games in 2005 but failed to make the team and I was glad that I redeemed myself in 2007 with the gold medal. It was one of my toughest race.
How did you train for that SEA Games gold in that year?
I tried to train as smart as I could and did extensive research on my competitiors. I calculated based on all past races of myself and my competitiors and figured that as long as I do not finish the bike leg more than 1 minute behind my Filipino competitors, I will be able to catch them on the run as they were consistently 1 minute slower than me in past races. Thus, I worked on my run and practiced my bike to run muscle transition to effectively pull off the strategy.
Can you share with us on your winning of last year's Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2010?
It was a tough race. It was fun for most of it and from the 20-30km mark I was priviledged to run with a Hong Kong runner with whom I chatted with along the entire stretch of east coast park. The enjoyment I found during this led me to run faster and faster, and I burned myself up at the 35km Mark. Thus, it is important to be disciplined with your pacing. But besides that, it was a great experience!!
How do you compare the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2010 route as compared to the previous marathons?
This is only my second marathon and for me I find the course pretty similar except for the first part at Orchard road. But it looks exciting with the Christmas decorations!
What is your goal for the upcoming marathon?
My goal is to finish in a better timing than last year and to enjoy the race with all my running friends. The post race lunch is what we will all be looking forward to!!
Who do you think are going to be your competitors?
After me and Ashley coming in podium finishes in last year, this year, there is a great influx of university students coming into the race all excited to be part of the marathon boom. Thus, many of them are very fit and I am excited for an increased number of sub - 3 runners this year. Many of the runners have done well this year such as Ashley doing many PBs this year and also Ramesh who is coming back after an ACL operation 2 years ago. Thus, it will be good competition between the newer, younger runners and the older, seasoned runners.
How do you cope with studies and training?
I try to study whenever I can and I train effectively based on my understanding on distance running. Also, it is great that I also enjoy both my studies in Medicine and my running.
How is your parents support towards sports?
They are great. They are ever so supportive with my training and studies. They will not hesitate to wake up early to prepare my breakfast or to bring me to training grounds no matter how early it is. They always ask me to rest and eat well. They are the best parents one can ask for if you an endurance runner.
Do you find training in group more beneficial as compared to training alone?
Definitely I always believe in group training. Besides, its more fun!!! And running should be fun!!
What advice would you give to people who want to finish the marathon in a reasonable time?
Pace yourself and start your nutriton and hydration early in the race. Do not let the adrenaline rush get over you and control yourself early in the race. Also, just have fun and keep smiling to the camers. enjoy yourself!
The author would like to wish Mok Ying Ren all the best for the upcoming Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2010.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment