Friday, December 10, 2010

Mok Ying Rong - Fastest Singaporean in women 10km (SSCM 2010)

Mok Ying Rong - Fastest Singaporean for the 10km SSCM 2010, 3rd in women open

After the race, while I was at the prize-giving tent looking for S. Jeevanesh and Ashley Liew, I was chatting on off-season training with Sheryl Loh, a bright young former female student from Hwa Chong Institution (college), who will be pursuing her further studies in medicine at Monash University in Feb 2011. Sheryl Loh, with about 5 months training, has already done two sub 42min in Great Eastern Run and at Penang Bridge Marathon 10km run. While we were chatting, we chanced to see Mok Ying Rong, a female versatile athlete from Raffles Junior College. I found that she does her homework in running by reading articles and periodicals on running research. Hence, I find her a informed athlete. Ying Rong spoke to me about her training and we had some discussion. After the discussion, I thought that it would definitely be a good idea to interview her as she has several accomplishments that will be motivational for young budding talents to follow. Hence, I asked her some questions pertaining to running.

An interview with Mok Ying Rong






What is your personal best time for 800m, 1500m, 3000m, 5000m and 10000m?
I have never participated in any 800m race before. My timing for the various distances are as follows.
1500m - 5min 20sec
3000m - 11min 17sec
5000m - 19min 30sec
10000m - 40min 18sec

Can you tell us about your lifetime best for 10km with more detail?
My personal best of 40.18mins for the 10km, was clocked during the Saucony passion run this year which was held at east coast park. It was a flat route, but it was also very crowded as the 10km race was flagged off after the 25km category. However, what was good about the 10km race was that both the guys and the girls were flagged off together. This gave me the opportunity to pace with some of the guys throughout the race. During the race, I had to weave in and out of the crowds as the pathway was overcrowded and the fact that it was narrow, further exacerbated the situation. However, it still provided me with some valuable racing experience nonethless. In the end, I acquired the 2nd position, while Anna Thompson attained the 1st position. She is a very strong runner and it would be some time before I can match her standard.




How do your friends and family feel about your coming in third for the SSCM 2010?
My family was very encouraging about my 3rd position win in SSCM. They felt that I could have done a better job if I had rest and tapered more for the race.


How do you feel being the sister of local Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon champion, Mok Ying Ren in men open?
I am really happy for my brother for winning the Standard Chartered marathon. He has put in a lot of long and hard trainings to achieve his current standing in our local running scene. I don't feel pressurized to follow his footsteps. Right now, I am just enjoying my running and am trying my best to manage my studies alongside my training.

Will you be running marathon in the near future since your brother is successful in this?
I am considering running the marathon in the near future as I wish to experience the satisfaction and the "runners-high" that runners all over gain from the marathon.


What is your next goal in running?
My next goal in running is to bring my 10km pb down to sub 39mins.

Picture 2 - Mok Ying Rong, a long distance runner from Raffles Junior College

We wish all the best to Mok Ying Rong in her future endeavour.

Next issue - Teng Jian Hong - The runner who rebounded from injuries.

0 Comments: