S. Jeevanesh - 17 year old, Speed and Stamina Combined Athlete.
Picture 1 - Jeeva, Singapore Open 2010 Track 5000m Champion
Picture 1 - Jeeva, Singapore Open 2010 Track 5000m Champion
In the past, I ran in one of the Olympic Day 10km run some where around the 1990s.In that race, I had to run with Helmar Aslaksen, a Norwegian-born NUS lecturer, whose personal best was 31min 01sec in a 10km race. At that time, I had already accomplished doing a 33min 00sec in one of the 10km run and beat Helmar, in a race which was held near Marina Square.
In the Olympic Day run, however, while running the race, I was trying to follow Helmar. The race was held in Turf City, Bukit Timah. I could not understand why I was not able to follow Helmar. Over time, I lost more ground and was in fact aiming to come in second placing for the race. Then, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, I saw someone overtaking me at the side. The moment he overtook me, this strange gentleman just surged in front me leaving me with less time to recoil and respond. I told myself that there goes my second position. This strange young man tried to overtake Helmar, but was not able to succeed in that attempt.
Eventually, I knew that Helmar was very strong enough to come in first, the strange man was second and I was third. Nevertheless, I was very happy with the result because I did sub 34min for the race. Later, I came to find out that the gentleman who came in second was a National 1500m runner by the name of Subramaniam.
After so long, one day, S. Jeevanesh told me whether I know his uncle by the name of Subramaniam. I told him,"Genetics! That's why your uncle was able to beat me" Then, I realised that that was the reason why Jeevanesh has this natural talent in the middle distance as well as long distance. His mother and father were, in the past, in athletics during their teenage years.
In National Schools Cross country 2009 and 2010, Jeevanesh came in 6th and 2nd, respectively. This year's 1500m, Jeeva proved that he is a force to be reckon with by coming in first in a very tight finish where he mustered up his courage and will to come out of being boxed in at the finish and ended first. It was a memorable day where even his family members and I were very excited.
Picture 2 - National Schools' Track and Field 1500m strategy was to boldly lead right from the start.
After our own prize giving in Hwa Chong Institution (college), some where in April, Dr Hon Chiew Weng, our principal commented to him, " I like to see you run." To this, I told Jeeva that so far none of my past cross-country runners have this kind of comment. In time to come, if Jeeva continues running, I believe that national records will tumble and Singapore will be able to win gold medal in distance events in South East Asian Games. Jeeva has this talent and is important to nurture this.
Picture 2 - National Schools' Track and Field 1500m strategy was to boldly lead right from the start.
After our own prize giving in Hwa Chong Institution (college), some where in April, Dr Hon Chiew Weng, our principal commented to him, " I like to see you run." To this, I told Jeeva that so far none of my past cross-country runners have this kind of comment. In time to come, if Jeeva continues running, I believe that national records will tumble and Singapore will be able to win gold medal in distance events in South East Asian Games. Jeeva has this talent and is important to nurture this.
Picture 3 - (from Left to Right) Jian Hong (3rd), Si Heng (8th), Jian Ler (old boy), Rameshon, Yong Liang (Heath and Fitness), Nathaniel Wong (Health and Fitness), S. Jeevanesh (1st) and Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon second placing Ashley Liew.
With this, I would like to introduce to all this fine, determined, obedient, quiet, yet challenging student-athlete in the form of question and answer in this blog.
An Interview With S.Jeevanesh
Pic 4 - S. Jeeva's inspiration is Chamkaur Singh Dhaliwal, Singapore's successful middle and long distance runner and National Record holder of 1500m and 3000m for men.
Pic 4 - S. Jeeva's inspiration is Chamkaur Singh Dhaliwal, Singapore's successful middle and long distance runner and National Record holder of 1500m and 3000m for men.
How was the journey to the start line in the morning?
It was smooth, not much of a crowd when we came in.How was the weather just before the 10km run?
It was alright, but it got hotter as time passed by.
How do you find the route?
It was quite similar to SAFRA Bay Run, but there were a couple of unexpected turns somewhere in the middle of the race.
You were not selected for SEA youth and YOG, how do you feel about this?
It doesn't matter anymore because due to these, I was able to train for the 10km races and also have a good rest for the upcoming season.
Who were your opponents during the race?
My opponent was mainly Aldrich Lim, who has a similar fitness level as me.
What strategy did you use for the run?
I decided to follow Aldrich Lim for the first 8.5km before stepping up the pace for the last 1.5km.
How was your family feeling towards your winning?
They were quite amazed with my win.
How do you feel winning the men open 10km?
It was quite unexpected, I just feel good.
How did your school mates performed during the race?
Jian Hong did well, coming in 3rd by 1 second. Si Heng also did well despite falling ill a week ago.
You won $2000 for this race, how do you feel about this?
Nothing much really, it is just a bonus. I may bring my team-mates for a 'treat' someday.
Appreciation - From Jeevanesh
I would like to thank my coach, Mr Rameshon for his guidance in training so far, my family for their unwavering support, my team-mates, friends and anyone who have helped me in one way or another. I would also like to congratulate Ashley Liew for coming in 2nd for the Marathon (Singapore runners, Men).




0 Comments:
Post a Comment