Teng Jian Hong - Reward Of Fighting Till The End in Men Open 10km
Figure 1 - Philip Ramachandran and Teng Jian Hong fighting till the end.
I remember training Jian Hong when he was a year one Hwa Chong Institution (college) student. He used to work very hard. Usually, he came for training with his mind focused and ready to attain the target before he leave the training ground. It was such that I got to tell our students to follow his way of being focused.
For this year, Jian Hong was doing very well in training and at the rate he was improving he was starting to hit similar times like Oon Shui Kun and S. Jeevanesh. His improvement was excellent to the point that I suggested to him to attempt for YOG. The event that Jian Hong ran was 2000m steeplechase. While doing our own workouts, time-trials, SAA cross-country races, in addition, Jian Hong had to compete in the All Comers Meet, organised by SAA.
For this year, Jian Hong was doing very well in training and at the rate he was improving he was starting to hit similar times like Oon Shui Kun and S. Jeevanesh. His improvement was excellent to the point that I suggested to him to attempt for YOG. The event that Jian Hong ran was 2000m steeplechase. While doing our own workouts, time-trials, SAA cross-country races, in addition, Jian Hong had to compete in the All Comers Meet, organised by SAA.
I felt that I had made a mistake because, in the process, Jian Hong got himself injured due to many races. However, it was a collective decision. He could not get himself out of the ITB problem. As a coach, my job was to allow him to attempt to go for YOG in order to give him the opportunity. It would be selfish to hold him back. Anyway, I believe that the injury could have been caused largely due to the steeple jumping rather than running. S. Jeevanesh, the best runner for National Age Group for 3000m himself had to do about minimum 15-16 races of SAA and our own time-trial. Too many races! Owing to running many of these intense competitions, Jian Hong could have got himself burnt-out as well.
It is hoped that the races are well spread out in the future by reading Jian Hong's story. Some races in Singapore are all too close. In the West and many parts of the world, peaking usually takes place somewhere in July/August. As for our races in Singapore, especially for students at secondary schools and colleges, April is planned as peaking for all track and field school athletes. To make the best of this unusual situation, an athlete must continue to train even when the races are over. For year 2 college athletes, it is better to at least do a training of 3 times per week. For year 1 college athletes, it would be a good idea to continue training. Else, detraing effects will take place and the aspiring athlete may not be able to realise his or her dream in the end.
As for Jian Hong's case, he was adamant in coming back to normal running and hence continued to do some form of rest and some modified training while taking his final exams. After his exams, Jian Hong trained very hard diligently and with resilience, he got back his form which left him when he got himself injured.
In the Standard Chartered Marathon 2010, Jian Hong surprisingly gave a hard fight till the end with Philip Ramachandran, who already has a sub 35min for the Army Half-marathon 2010 10km race for men open. Philip (senior) was in front of S. Jeevanesh (junior) and Aldrich Lim (junior) for the Army Half - marathon 10km men open race. After the neck-to-neck finish, many were left wondering as to who was third and fourth, whether it was Jian Hong or Philip Ramachandran. Eventually, it was known that Jian Hong had outsprinted Philip. He was third. He also had to concede giving us a treat for doing well, getting $1000 for the race. In the race he was about 40sec away from Aldrich Lim, who was a POSB 2010 5km winner this year and another 17sec from the Men Open 10km champion S. Jeevanesh.
Picture 2 - (Left to Right) S. Jeevanesh ($2000), Ashley Liew ($5000) and Teng Jian Hong ($1000)
In the Standard Chartered Marathon 2010, Jian Hong surprisingly gave a hard fight till the end with Philip Ramachandran, who already has a sub 35min for the Army Half-marathon 2010 10km race for men open. Philip (senior) was in front of S. Jeevanesh (junior) and Aldrich Lim (junior) for the Army Half - marathon 10km men open race. After the neck-to-neck finish, many were left wondering as to who was third and fourth, whether it was Jian Hong or Philip Ramachandran. Eventually, it was known that Jian Hong had outsprinted Philip. He was third. He also had to concede giving us a treat for doing well, getting $1000 for the race. In the race he was about 40sec away from Aldrich Lim, who was a POSB 2010 5km winner this year and another 17sec from the Men Open 10km champion S. Jeevanesh.
Picture 2 - (Left to Right) S. Jeevanesh ($2000), Ashley Liew ($5000) and Teng Jian Hong ($1000)
Having said that, I would like to introduce in the form of interview on Jian Hong for his valiant attempt to come in top 3 in the men open section of the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2010 category.
Picture 3 - Dramatic finish, all the way till the end by Philip and Jian Hong
Picture 3 - Dramatic finish, all the way till the end by Philip and Jian Hong
What made you to keep to top four during the race, especially when I saw you at the Esplanade?
At that time I was following a runner called Phillip and I felt quite comfortable with the pace that we were going at. My aim was to go for a timing of about 37mins. I knew Phillip was a good 10km runner and if I could just follow him, I would have a good chance of hitting that time.
What were you expecting for ths race?
I was definitely not expecting a top 3 finish. I was just going for a personal best of around 37mins.
Can you describe the race between you and Philip Ramachandran?
I felt that the pace for the first half of the race was not particularly fast. Phillip and I pulled away from our group of 4 runners at around the 6km mark. By the time we reached the F1 pits, Phillip was leading me by about 10-20m but I caught up with him when we passed the Esplanade. We were neck and neck when we headed to the last stretch and we were both just trying to outsprint each other. I kicked as hard as I could and I'm just glad that the result went my way. The race was a 50-50, in terms of winning. However, I also have to consider Philip getting injured before running this race and having been enlisted for National Service.
How do you feel winning 3rd placing in Men Open in SSCM 2010?
I feel quite proud of my achievement since it's been quite some time since I've stood on a podium.
How did your parents and family feel about your getting third for this race?
They are all very proud of my achievement. I'm really glad that they have been so supportive towards my running all these years.
What is your long term plan in running?
For me, the priority now is to do well for next year's national cross country and track & field championships. After that, I will be focusing more on my studies as I will be taking the 'A' level exams. I should continue running after the exams.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment