Pranayama - Prana means life-force and yama means control.
During my days being a trainee-teacher, I happened to read a Sports Psychology book. I was reading this book because of the desire to improve in running. Hence, I chanced to read this passage of the book where I realised that top runners do breathing techniques to remain calm during a race. It will be of benefit to runners to do breathing exercise to maximise ones potential in running.
Yesterday, in Hwa Chong Institution, I was explaining to my Health and Fitness Club members on the importance of Breathing Exercise. It will be good to put my points in a summary manner.
Benefits of Pranayama
Slowing down of the breathing mechanism (a person can breathe 12 breath per minute as opposed to 18 to 21)
Reduction in stress.
Reduction in depression
Energetic feeling
Emotional stability
Overcoming anxiety
Mind will be in the present moment. The mind's tendency to go to the past (regrets) and future (anxiety) will cease.
Mind will be in the present moment. The mind's tendency to go to the past (regrets) and future (anxiety) will cease.
I have given a summary of breathing technique and an introduction of breathing technique. This is a continuation of it.
Summary, Introduction and conclusion of Breathing Technique
Summary to Breathing Technique
http://rameshon-m.blogspot.com/2011/01/abstract-objective-to-determine.html
Introduction to Breathing Technique
http://rameshon-m.blogspot.com/2011/01/introduction-to-deep-breathing-and.html
Summary, Introduction and conclusion of Breathing Technique
Summary to Breathing Technique
http://rameshon-m.blogspot.com/2011/01/abstract-objective-to-determine.html
Introduction to Breathing Technique
http://rameshon-m.blogspot.com/2011/01/introduction-to-deep-breathing-and.html
Benefits of Belly Breathing (Study done in 2003)
David Lim of 2D
"I think the breathing exercise is very useful as it calms down my mind. It also makes my body feel energised and refreshed. I was able to concentrate on task given at hand and perform well"
Heah Huey Shyang of 2G
Besides feeling Calmness, I feel more energetic.
Lee Li Koon of 3F
In class, I am very focused and could concentrate more on my studies. There is improvement in paying attention to teacher. My body and mind feel relaxed Before a race. I feel more calm as compared to the past.
Jeffrey Ng Zhao Hong of 1D
I feel cool, calm and refreshed, which allows me to pay more attentioin in class. Throughout the day, I feel more energtic.
Conclusion
There is evidence that breathing exercises can improve a person's wellbeing. the above study show the importance of handling stress.
In Yoga, it is mentioned that physical stress can be improved by doing physical relaxation. Mental stress can be countered by doing meditation. Breathing techniques such as and pranayama and sudarshan kriya should be done to reduce emotional stress. In The Chinese High School, 9 boys have gone for a course, which teaches them to use pranayama and sudarshan kriya.
The author's suggestion is that further studies should be undertaken on sports personalities to validate the above survey study on what breathing techniques like pranayam can do to physical, mental and especially emotional aspect of life.
At the same time, this study should be undertaken on what breathing techniques such as pranayama can do to improve a person's academic performance as The Chinese High School is gearing towards becoming a world-class academic institution.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment