Daniel Chia -Driving Taxi and Exercising at the same time.
I met my friend Benedict Boo, 36 and Daniel Chia, 51, three days back at the MacRitchie Reservoir canteen for a drink. Daniel was relating a race in the past where, in 1991, I ran and did 2hr 46min and that he did 2hr 47min in Penang Marathon. In my mind nothing was vivid. He told me that at that time he was representing Singapore, while I went there for the run by myself.
I also realised that from the past 20 over years, I have been seeing this gentleman regularly training in MacRitchie Reservoir. In the past, Daniel related to me that he used to run with high mileage. Now, he do running more for health reasons.
Daniel lamented that, in the past,we could do sub-2hr 50min easily. I told him that about 7 of them will come in sub -2hr 50min and he verified this statement. He told me that the marathon runners of Singapore should be running faster and not slower. He told me that SAA should support the runners to go overseas to run and compete and improve the standard.
Both of us agreed that, the past management, was liberal to allow us to go for more overseas assignments. He told me that even he getting selected shows the then SAAA's support to improve long distance running. He told me that generally the long distance running needs a big push now and it is so far not happening. He told me that he hoped that this will happen in the future.
What facinated me a lot about Daniel Chia is he is keeping himself fit by at least doing 10km per day. I feel that many youngsters could follow this kind of example so that they stay healthy and fitness and save on doctors bills.
I decided to do an interview on Daniel and he accepted.
An interview with Daniel Chia
What is your height and weight?
I am 1.67metres in height and weigh 50kg. My weight has been the same after my young adult days.
When did you take up running?
At the age of 25 plus.
When were you very serious on running?
It was from the year 1988 onwards.
Why did you take up running?
I was a chain smoker. Taking up running made me to lead a healthy lifestyle and give up smoking in the long run. I used to smoke 12 sticks per day.
Tell us some thing about your job?
I am a taxi driver and work for nearly 14 hours per day. Even with this, I still have time to go for my run.
What is your mileage like at this age?
30-50km per week. Nearing a competition, I do 50-60km per week.
Can you share with us on your wife's view on your running?
My wife, Poo Kwee Eng, in year 1994, has done 3hr 37min for the marathon. Currently, she trains 3 times per week by herself. She supports me in running.
Do you have any children?
I have two children.
What is your view on Singaporeans to be fit?
If Singaporeans are fit, we lead a quality life and avoid seeing a doctor.
We will be fit enough to be a volunteer for reservist between 40 and 43 of age.
Do you have any feedback on this year's Standard Chartered Marathon, in Singapore?
Sorry to say this, but there are too many turns.
Races should have categories for the veteran, for example, between 40-45, between 45 to 50, between 50 to 55 etc. This will get more people to participate in running. In Thailand and Malaysia, and other countries, especially the west, this is a common practice. With the chip system to take timing of all individual runners, this is definitely possible.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment