Thursday, January 13, 2011

Yeo Si Heng - Excels in Running and Studies

Yeo Si Heng - Year 2010's best 2000 metres steeplechase runner in National Age Group Track and Field Championships.

Picture 1 - (Left to Right) S. Jeevanesh (3000m,9min 30sec, 1st), Rameshon, Galen Ruben (3000m, 2nd, 9min 40sec), Yeo Si Heng (1st , 2000m steeplechase) and Mr Sebastian Lim

I remember meeting Si Heng when he was joining Hwa Chong cross-country team at the secondary side. In year 2007, an SJI boy, by the name of Sumanthiran, trained by Coach Tahir, gave a fight to Si Heng and won the individual first position. Si Heng came in second position and lost the title. However, he was just 3 seconds away from Sumanthiran.

From year 2008 to year 2009, while Si Heng was in High School, I was only training the college team of Hwa Chong, boys and girls. In 2010, Si Heng finally bounced back in athletics scene using resilience and finally came in as the best runner in the National Age Group championships 2010. The National Age Group Track and Field Championships 2010 was a culmination of All Comers Track and Field Meet 1, 2 and 3. The top 8 runners were given invitation to run in that race. I found that finally Si Heng had proven himself as the best runner for his age winning the ultimate gold medal. He was not selected for YOG but got the nomination for it. The unfortunate that happened was that he was not selected for the South East Asian Youth Championships 2010. a number of them from MR 25 club plus other athletes told me that he should be selected.

The truth is, in year 2010, in the long distance event, consisting of 2000m steeplechase and 3000m race, the races were won by Yeo Si Heng and S. Jeevanesh, respectively. I was very happy that for the age group 18 years and below, both were the best runners in Singapore itself.

The sad thing was that they were not selected for any race, even the minor races of Malaysia. The other problem is that we are told in one meeting that we need to gain permission to run in Malaysian minor state races. So, both ways are not going to improve the situation. Jeeva's timing is just 9 seconds away for our National under 17 National Schools' champion, Jeffrey Ng, set in year 2002. The time Jeffrey Ng did was 9min 21sec and he was our runner as well. With the advent of Sports School, this timing that Jeffrey Ng had set has not been broken yet. Hence, I feel that it is wise that they could send our top runner Jeevanesh and Si Heng for greater exposure. If there is no exposure, we are not developing the talent of middle and long distance running.

Si Heng came for one of SAA talk last year and voiced concern on no competition for him in any minor competition overseas. I supported in the talk that since he became the best, what is next step. I told Mr Tang Weng Fei that after doing 2hr 24min 22sec, for several months, I kept coming first in 10km race with a 1-2min gap in front of my next opponent, who was so far away from me. Over time, I told that I had to give up running as there was no competition in Singapore. SAA told us that they will take this into consideration and send athletes for overseas races. Over time, we hope to see this manifesting.

Coming back to Yeo Si Heng, not only he does well in studies and running, he is now the captain of the Hwa Chong cross country (college) and S.Jeevanesh is the vice-captain. Si Heng, is going to share what he does to train and balance studies plus other things to motivate runners of Singapore.

An Interview With Yeo Si Heng
Picture 2 - Yeo Si Heng, with the undiscovered talent in long distance, Oon Shui Kun

When did you start running?
I started running in primary 6.

When did you take running as a passion?
My passion for running grew when I was in secondary school. I have been constantly influenced by my coach Mr Ram, who has a strong passion for running. Mr Ram's training program, which is manageable and progressive, has also made my interest for this sport grow.

How is your parents' support towards sports?
My parents are very very supportive towards my sporting life. They have provided me with much moral support as well monetary support when it comes to doing sports.

What is the thing that you are doing that make you excel in running as well as studies?
Balancing between running and studying is not easy. To do so, I ensure that I have enough sleep everyday so that I can pay attention in class, and do my best in training. I ensure my school work is done, by doing them right after my trainings. Simply put it, studying and running are my top priorities.

What is National Age Group Championships timing?
2km steeple - 6:46 mins

How was your performance during the race? Can you share with us on your ranking?
I finished 1st. I started slowly, and eventually emerged as the leading runner by the 2nd round. Afterwhich, there was little competition from the other competitors as I led throughout and finished the race.

What is your aspiration?
Probably something related to chemistry. Regardless, I hope I will be able to find the time to run then, so that I can lead a healthy and balanced lifestyle.

Do you get the necessary support for running?
Yes, I do. My pillars of strength in running are definitely my parents, and my coach. As mentioned above, my parents are very supportive with what I do, and this ensures that I am happy and motivated during training. My coach, Mr Rameshon, has been the most enthusiastic coach I have ever seen. He has given me much advice and moral support when it comes to running. His training program is also very effective and keeps me fit and healthy. Mr Ram is definitely my main source of motivation when it comes to running. My timing constantly improves under his supervision. Thank you all!

What do you think about our principal Dr Hon Chiew Weng of Hwa Chong Institution?

I feel that Dr Hon is a very respectable principal. Dr Hon ensures the welfare of his students, by listening to each and every of his students' views or suggestions towards the school. Airing our views to him is never an issue. Dr Hon is also a very cheerful and friendly He smiles to every student he passes by. 5 years under Dr Hon, I have never seen him angry before.












0 Comments: