John Tubei - A self-coached athlete who has done 2hr 15min 27sec and came in second in Hong Kong Marathon in the past.
Picture 1 - John Tubei of Kenya on the right is one of the favourite to win the Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon Race 2011. Front, on the left is Ashley Liew from Singapore and at the back is Shaharuddin from Malaysia
I saw John in the Standard Chartered Marathon route orientation bus. He was sitting down calmly and I introduced myself to him. He told me that he is from Kenya and is a professional athlete. He shared with me on his training program and about his goals. There were other Kenyans who have a time between 2hr 10mins and 2hr 14min. Within these range there were altogether 3 of them, Nelson Kirwa Rotich, Philemon Kemboi and Cyprian Mwobi. I also saw two male Ethiopian runners. They are two of the three registered male Ethiopians. They are Raymond Kiplagat Kandie (2hr 09min 21s) and Tesfaye Girma Bekele (2hr 10min 17s). Another runner by the name of Towfik Abilshikur Heil has a time of 2hr 13min 00sec for the marathon.I saw a Morocco runner who has a current best time of 2hr 21min 49sec, Hammou Moudouji running in the race.
As for the female marathoners, I saw a Russian runner by the name of Lyubov Denisova, an Ethiopian runner, a Mongolian runnerm, an Etiopian runner and Anne Date from Singapore.
Both Anne Date and Ashley Liew are representing Singapore. Hence, I just picked this professional runner by the name of John Tubei from Kenya to tell about his Hong Kong Marathon 2011 goals and aspirations.
An Interview With John Tubei From Kenya
When did you start running?
In 2003. My first marathon timing was 2hr 27mins.
Are you married?
I am married with 2 children
What is your age?
My age is 34 years
Where are you from?
I am from Kenya, Nairobi in a village called Ngong
Can you give us your personal best timings?
800m 1min 53sec
1500m 3min 50sec
5000m 14min 01sec
10000m 29min 07sec
Half-marathon 1hr 04min 07sec
Marathon 2hr 15min 27sec
How many months did you train for this race ?
It took me 3 months of intensive training, I did twice per week of workouts and other days of easy runs.
How is your preparation for this race?
I did some hill training preparation before coming for this race.
Who are your competitors?
For me every runner that meet in the international level, in this bus, are my competitors. I don't take things for granted. A marathon race is an unpredictable race. Anything can happen.
Who is your coach?
I as self-coached. Sometimes I mix with other runners for some training.
What is your long term goal?
To keep doing a personal best time and do a 2hr 10min. Olympics and Asian Games are bonus for me.
Do your wife support your passion in running?
Yes, most definitely.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment