Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lim Thow Wee 3hr 09min HK Marathon 2011

Lim Thow Wee - Uncommon valour to challenge the upslopes and down slopes of Hong Kong Standard Chartered Marathon route.

Picture 1 - Lim Thow Wee (left) and Ashley Liew (right)


Post Race Report

After my run in the year 2008 in Hong Kong, I realised that it is very important to prepare very well before one set foot on Hong Kong to run the Standard Chartered Marathon.

I had certain realisation. For people who want to do a good time, I felt that it is a good to come for the Hong Kong marathon. To do a personal best time, it is a question mark. Those who have a personal best time of 2hr 40min and above, I think that they could try to run this route by taking advantage of the weather. Moroccons Samira, the woman runner, and Hammou, the male runner told me that they are going for a good time and not personal best time. They looked disappointed with the route orientation. May be this may have made them conservative during the first half of the race such that they did a personal best time. Samira did 2hr 33min 50sec and Hammou did 2hr 16min.

At the half -way mark, Malaysian Shaharuddin did 1hr 17min and finally did 2hr 37min. He was the only one with the best value-added performance of the invited international runners by doing 10 min improvement from a time of 2hr 47min season best time from Penang Bridge Marathon 2010.

Another Singaporean by the name of Lim Thow Wee (personal best time 3hr 02min) took the chance with not proper preparation and aimed to do a sub 3hr, trying by taking advantage of the kind weather there.

After Ashley's finishing of the race, taking note that Ashley needed attention as he was in pain from the agonising slopes, my focus was channeled to him until Ashley recovered from the race and we started searching for Lim Thow Wee after some time. We realised that the place that we are supposed to convene was blocked by the officials. Eventually, we did not meet but later contacted each other using the handphone.

That evening after the race, Thow Wee told me his timing and I felt that when I go back to Singapore I will interview him. Now that he has come back from his holiday, I had decided to interview on him.

How was the weather there?
The weather was superb, 13-16 deg on the race day. I can't ask for anything better.

How do you find the route there?
The route was very challenging. It has a few long stretches of slope as well as a few short steep slope.

Did you meet your predicted target?
I didn't get my target of sub 3 hours. I did 3:09:16.

What was your strategy for this race?
My plan was quite simple. To run a 4 min 15 sec for every kilometer. That will be a 3 hours flat marathon. For every 10 kilometers, I was averaging 4 mins 15 sec to 4 mins 20 sec. It was perfect till 30k mark when both my calves felt very sore. I had to slow down to 4 mins 45 sec for the last 12k.

How was the organisation of the race by the Hong Kong organisers?
I have to commend the hong kong marathon organizers as everything was very smooth from depositing of baggage, water points, distance markers and finishing points.

How was the hydration strategy?
For the hydration points, every 2k, they serve a 180ml isotonic drink, similar to our ribena package. What else can we ask for! It's not served in paper cups or cans, thus the quantity is perfect n no spillage will occur. 100 marks for the hydration.

Any comparison between Standard Chartered Singapore marathon and the Hong Kong Marathon?
Comparing to SCMS, SCHKM's route is very dull. It's flyover and tunnels throughout. The route is tougher when it is compared to the Singapore marathon route. But the hydration points, distance markers and finishing point venue are more accomplished.

Any regrets?
No regrets for not hitting my target as my training wasn't too serious to begin with. Totally believe in sowing and reaping.

What is your next target?
My next target will be a sub 3 hours marathon. It has become my psychological barrier and I seriously have to conquer it! Hope it'll be very soon!

0 Comments: