It is late Thursday night and I have come to the conclusion that I am hopelessly homesick. This entire experience of moving away from home has been completely unlike what I had expected and to be blatant, a let down. Not sure what I was expecting, but I've never had such a hard time making friends - I've been hanging with Robert and Oscar from Garin a fair bit cause, to be honest, I haven't found "my people" yet.
Let me just clarify that before I sound awful, I have met lots of really cool people in the last fortnight and I'm sure I will enjoy strengthened friendships with them as the year goes on. However, right now, I don't think I have "clicked" with anyone because everyone's still rather in 'be nice to everyone' stage but... it just sucks. It especially sucks because so many people seem to have found their 'bestie' and I literally feel alone, or like a third wheel to all others.
Anyway, I know it's still early stages but two weeks without a good friend is quite annoying. Fortunately I've had Oscar and Robert, and Ashleigh has called a few times and I have had a bit of contact with Brandon on Twitter/MSN which has all been good. Parents and Grandma have called/e-mailed so that's been good also - just sucks being away from home for the first time. Let me just repeat myself, until two weeks ago, I had never lived in another home in my entire 18 years of life.
I feel bad for my parents also, because it's a big change to their lives also. Since my older brother lived with my Grandma since he was like 12/13 (when I was 8/9, we'll go into this story another time...) and then moved away when he was like 16, mum, dad and I pretty much lived alone together for the last 9/10 years! To be completely honest, I feel like I lived most of my life with just us three - so it's changed the dynamics. I miss my dog, Mia, terribly. I cuddled and held her daily, and it's sad to not have her around, on my bed when I get home, not rushing to the door to greet me after a long, torturous day of highschool. I miss her.
University's been a bit of a shock workload-wise, never have I been given like, 3 hours worth of reading material for like one or two days. It's insane! I guess I better hurry up and adopt the mantra of "studying is a full-time job" quickly before I fall behind! Considering I did homework usually like, once a week last year, I'd better get into the flow of things quickly. I really am a shocking studier, and I hope it's something I can overcome for the sake of passing this year! I must say I'm overwhelmed by the thought of three years of study, but plenty of people have hacked it and I'm pretty sure I'm not completely stupid, just a little, so... let's see how I get on.
Here's a picture of my Theatre 101 lecture that I had from 12pm-1pm today just before it started, it was really exciting. ;)
Not gonna pretend I'm enjoying it so far - the education level has really been upped and I feel like I've missed out on a HUGE chunk of prior learning - is it just because I missed level 3 NCEA drama? It's not my fault a Hitler-wannabe was Garin College's only drama teacher who managed to put every single person in my year off of drama, so I'd have been the only one, with the year 11 and year 12's. Fuck that. Basically it's hard and annoying and there's a lot of reading, and I'm over it.
Let me just clarify that before I sound awful, I have met lots of really cool people in the last fortnight and I'm sure I will enjoy strengthened friendships with them as the year goes on. However, right now, I don't think I have "clicked" with anyone because everyone's still rather in 'be nice to everyone' stage but... it just sucks. It especially sucks because so many people seem to have found their 'bestie' and I literally feel alone, or like a third wheel to all others.
Anyway, I know it's still early stages but two weeks without a good friend is quite annoying. Fortunately I've had Oscar and Robert, and Ashleigh has called a few times and I have had a bit of contact with Brandon on Twitter/MSN which has all been good. Parents and Grandma have called/e-mailed so that's been good also - just sucks being away from home for the first time. Let me just repeat myself, until two weeks ago, I had never lived in another home in my entire 18 years of life.
![]() |
| My new room, the sink is the literal highlight. Even though the water pressure sucks it. |
![]() |
| The scar/shaved patch is from being attacked by another dog, she had just had stitches put in. |
Here's a picture of my Theatre 101 lecture that I had from 12pm-1pm today just before it started, it was really exciting. ;)
Not gonna pretend I'm enjoying it so far - the education level has really been upped and I feel like I've missed out on a HUGE chunk of prior learning - is it just because I missed level 3 NCEA drama? It's not my fault a Hitler-wannabe was Garin College's only drama teacher who managed to put every single person in my year off of drama, so I'd have been the only one, with the year 11 and year 12's. Fuck that. Basically it's hard and annoying and there's a lot of reading, and I'm over it.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment