National Schools' Cross -Country Championships 2011 - 23 /03/2011 (Bedok Reservoir, 9 50am)
S. Jeeva has already crossed the sub 15min barrier and is longing to go further.
4.6km National Schools' Cross-Country Record Time For Overall Boys - 15min 20sec.
Humility is the trademark of Jeeva. He is a person who is well respected by his peers and he doesn't like to intimidate athletes to the corner and does not get intimidated by anyone. He has another trademark that is fearlessness, filled with immense willpower. His willpower is just amazing for me to watch with awe, especially when he exhibits. I believe that character is willpower. Jeeva is a man of good character for an athlete to emulate.
.
Jeeva's Uncle
S. Jeevanesh's uncle, Subramaniam, was my competitor in a 10km Olympic Day run in the past. Helmar Aslaksen, Subramaniam and I came in 1st, 2nd and third and did sub 34min for the race held in Turf City. It was very surprising for me to lose to Subramaniam, an unheard figure then. Anyway, Subramaniam made me to train even harder as I had to reflect on my training program to get faster. Later on, I was told that he was a 1500m runner in the past. That was how I had an experience meeting Jeevanesh's uncle.
Recent Performance of Jeeva
Recently, Jeeva came in first for the 10km Standard Chartered race in December 2010 during the marathon day, itself. He did a personal best time of 35min 00sec. In this year's Wing's Cross Country, Jeeva was the fastest school boy, who was at the same time just behind Rui Yong (men open), who came in first in men open by a mere 4 to 5 seconds.
Having said that, it is only later on that Jeeva told me about his uncle's passion and I realised that the genetic thing is still there for Jeeva. The admirable thing about Jeeva is he has done 14min 59sec in the end. He is now aiming for a 14min 55sec. As a coach, I have given him a reachable target time of sub 15min. Anything below this is a bonus. If I were him, I will see the situation at the half-way mark. If things are good, I would go for 14min 40sec to 14min 55sec. That is the potential that Jeevanesh has. I think that this can be easily done if Jeeva gets good competition.
Picture 1 - Chamkaur Singh, our current 1500m and 3000m National Record holder for Men Open, the model athlete that Jeeva would like to emulate.
What was the distance and the timing that you did for the recent time trial for 4.6km Bedok Reservoir route?
Q1. The distance was apprx. 4.6km. It was a few metres short of the actual cross country route, roughly 3s apart. I did 14:59:86 recently.
Q1. The distance was apprx. 4.6km. It was a few metres short of the actual cross country route, roughly 3s apart. I did 14:59:86 recently.
How do you feel about the timing?
Q2. I feel great about the timing as it is a personal best, 35s faster as compared to last year's nationals & 20s faster than the record time for A-Div so far as well.
During the run how was the feeling on whether you will achieve or not
Q3. I hit my time splits as acc. to plan. I knew I could achieve this pb at the last 600m as I was 5s faster than usual. I sprinted down the last stretch 5s quicker as well which resulted in an improvement of 10s as compared to my previous run.
What made you to go for this timing?
Q4. The desire to do better than my previous run and to give my best for the last time trial.
What is your next target?
Q5. A sub 15 min target will do.
Will your parents be coming down?
Q6. Not really sure, probably my mum.
When you did this time, how did your fellow team-mates feel about this?
They were quite suprised as I improved quite a lot for every time trial, almost 10s each. They too are motivated to do better.
How was the heat during the run?
Q8. The conditions were almost the same as the one we are going to experience during cross country; hot, hot & hot.
I would like to thank my coach, Mr Rameshon, my future buddy, Ashley Liew, my constant training team-mates Yeo Si Heng, Mun Yong Liang, Nathaniel Wong, Teng Jian Hong, Joo Ern, Freeman Aw and Samuel Wong and my family and friends for their support as well as Onn Shui Kun & Augustine Tan for taking time off to help us selflessly.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment