Tuesday, April 20, 2010

TUESDAY, April 20, 2010 — Kevin Christian


Theme: "Right on!" — Theme answers describe the word RIGHT in relation to other, related words.


Theme answers:

  • 20A: RIGHT (SYNONYM FOR JUST).
  • 38A: RIGHT (HOMONYM FOR WRITE).
  • 50A: RIGHT (ANTONYM FOR LEFT).
Some people really don't like the kind of theme where each theme answer is clued with the same word. I think the argument is that the theme answers themselves aren't always stand-alone phrases. I totally get that, but I still like those kinds of themes. And this puzzle puts a different twist on it which I think makes it even better. The theme answers aren't simply definitions of RIGHT, they're definitions that all kinda relate to each other. Not sure if I'm explaining myself well, but basically I'm saying I like it.

There was, however, a tad too much crosswordese for my liking. I mean, when you've got AIDA, ODIN, ADEN, and EDAM all hanging out together, that's just … too much of a good thing. Or something. Nothing else really jumped out at me. I was a big RHODA fan back in the day (26D: Valerie Harper role) and I like today's clue for KNEEL (67A: Prepare to be knighted) more than the typical marriage proposal clue. Other than that, I think HOBO is the sparkliest thing in the grid, and when you're looking at a HOBO for sparkliness, you've gotta kinda wonder.

Crosswordese 101: As we learn in today's clue, NEC is, indeed a 21D: Japanese information technology giant. According to Wikipedia, "The company used the name Nippon Electric Company, Limited before re-branding in 1983. It still goes by the full name in Japan." Clues for NEC will look like this: "IBM competitor," "Maker of many ATMs," "Japanese computer giant," and "Big name in computers."



Everything Else — 1A: Indian region known for its tea (ASSAM); 6A: Etta of old comics (KETT); 10A: Winery vessels (VATS); 14A: "The Lord of the Rings" hero (FRODO); 15A: Trendsetting (EDGY); 16A: Words after laugh or whoop (IT UP); 17A: Lisa of "The Cosby Show" (BONET); 18A: Popular depilatory (NAIR); 19A: Frozen breakfast brand (EGGO); 23A: Stephen of "The Crying Game" (REA); 24A: Charged particle (ION); 25A: Polar bear's domain (ARCTIC); 29A: Nonpaying train rider, perhaps (HOBO); 32A: Balloon-breaking sound (POP); 35A: Irritant "in your side" (THORN); 36A: Verdi's title princess (AIDA); 37A: Brett Favre's number (FOUR); 41A: Thor's father (ODIN); 42A: Mideast bigwig (EMIR); 43A: __, meenie ... (EENIE); 44A: Anatomical egg holder (SAC); 45A: Maxwell Smart's nemesis (KAOS); 46A: Make plump (FATTEN); 47A: That boat (SHE); 49A: Ending for refuse (-NIK); 58A: Comedian Roseanne (BARR); 59A: "One giant leap for mankind" site (MOON); 60A: Figure of speech (IDIOM); 62A: Colored part of the eye (IRIS); 63A: Feel concern (CARE); 64A: Chutzpah (NERVE); 65A: Use a keyboard (TYPE); 66A: Help badly? (ABET); 1D: Langley or Laughlin: Abbr. (AFB); 2D: Sellout signs (SROS); 3D: PlayStation maker (SONY); 4D: Yemen port (ADEN); 5D: Ramada, for one (MOTOR INN); 6D: Land of Obama's father (KENYA); 7D: Cheese in red wax (EDAM); 8D: "Yay, tomorrow's Saturday!" ("TGIF!"); 9D: Neophyte (TYRO); 10D: Mission __, California (VIEJO); 11D: How banks are usually robbed (AT GUNPOINT); 12D: Port pullers (TUGS); 13D: Dog in a primer (SPOT); 22D: Brazilian hot spot (RIO); 25D: One of the Musketeers (ATHOS); 27D: "FoxTrot" or "Dilbert" (COMIC STRIP); 28D: Suffix with cyclo or jumbo (TRON); 29D: Old sound systems (HI-FIS); 30D: Febreze target (ODOR); 31D: Ingot (BAR); 33D: Bellybutton type (OUTIE); 34D: Fuss over oneself (PREEN); 36D: Bullets and such (AMMO); 37D: Worry (FRET); 39D: Affirmative vote (YEA); 40D: Vulnerable spot in a chain (WEAK LINK); 45D: Barbie's guy (KEN); 46D: Christmas tree choice (FIR); 48D: Trigger, e.g. (HORSE); 49D: Three trios (NONET); 50D: More than 51-Down (A BIT); 51D: Not even 50-Down (NARY); 52D: Village People disco hit (YMCA); 53D: Ancient kingdom near the Dead Sea (MOAB); 54D: "Look out, golfers!" ("FORE!"); 55D: Snake-and-fruit story setting (EDEN); 56D: Blaze (FIRE); 57D: "Slithy" thing in "Jabberwocky" (TOVE); 61D: Filmmaker Gibson (MEL).

0 Comments: