Saturday, July 17, 2010

Donald Ng - The Passionate Runner

Donald Ng - Marathon - 2hrs 58min 01sec (at the age of 40)

Picture 1 - Donald Ng (Winning the Men Veteran Category)


In part 4 of the story of the marathoners that I coached/assisted, I told the story of Ernest Wong. When I was winning distance races in Singapore, having a personal best  for 10km in a time of  32min 22sec (England 10km - 31min 46sec), I observed that one of my nearest competitor was Ernest Wong. Ernest was running way different from other runners that I had seen. Little did I know that he was actually trained by Donald Ng, a very passionate runner whom I have met from the past.



For the benefit of his athlete Ernest, Donald was selfless to ask Ernest to train under me. It was Donald who initiated. As soon as we were training, suddenly I realise that Donald was humble enough to jump in the bandwagon and joined us in the training. He was always there for Ernest Wong. Ernest and I were in Japan for the Sendai Marathon, where we had to run part of the marathon run.



At that time, I also realised that Donald was having sensations at the achilles tendon. He kept training seriously. My terms with them is they do all the long runs and I will join them for 2 of the 25km run and one workout on the track. My training was focused on keeping fit and I did not have the zest to train very hard at that time. It was like Ernest is the climbing the Mt Everest and Donald and I were the Sherpas (guides). Ernest attained a pb of 2hr 37min finally. Donald was the real mentor to Ernest to attain the target. I came in to see whether the direction is correct. We three, even now, will laugh when we see each other and are very good friends. Thanks to running.



While doing the training, I realised that Donald later on took part in the Singapore Marathon and did a personal best. When ever he discusses with me on training programme, he was always fond on the fitness conditioning that I used to include in running. Even when I give a very tough strengthening session, I used to see Donald acting as a good role model for Ernest to follow. Donald success in running, I hope, will spur many above 40 athletes, especially the local ones to gun for a good time.

Picture 2- Donald Ng and Ernest Wong

With this, let us go to the interview session I had with the die hard MR25 member.

What is your age now?
I am 51 years of age and was born in 19th June 1959.

When did you start running?
I participated in 100m, 400m and 4X100m relay during my primary school days. I did cross-country during my vocational institute days at Boys’ Town. During that period, I did not have any form of training like many others were having during their school days. At the age of 18, I trained for 2.4km NAFA running test before being enlisted in the National Service (NS). I also trained after NS for my reservist. That kept me active most of the time. I started running training actively in 1987 when I was chosen to represent 6 Division for running competitions. The following year I joined MacRitchie Runner 25 due to the encouragement of my teammate, Mr Lim Teck Heng. I started very seriously in year 1988.

Can you tell us more about your club MR25?
Macritchie Runners 25 (MR25) is a Singapore based running club formed in 1976 by a group of enthusiastic and motivated people who frequently used to run at MacRitchie Reservoir. In order to join MR25 as club members, a person need to clock below 25 minutes for the 5km time trial at MacRitchie Reservoir. MR25 organises 5km time trials, progressive runs from 10km to 35km, progressively, cross-country marathon and ultra marathon for members, throughout the year. One can log on to http://www.mr25.org.sg/ for more information. Currently I am doing functions in the committee as Social Chairman for the year 2010, organizing social events for members.

Picture 3 - MR25 Club Members Photo (Donald in extreme right)




Who is your role model in running?
All those who have broken the records and are still holding the record are my role models. I believe that we should admire and respect them for what they have done in the past.

How was your training like when you did the 2hrs 58min at the age of 40?
I was training with Rameshon, who encouraged me to take part in Singapore Open in year 1998 at National Stadium at age of 38 that I did 17min 48sec for 5000 meter event. My average target was to do a marathon in good timing, I was assisted by Rameshon to do long runs and circuit training, until I reach age of 40. I took part in veteran category for the International Singapore Marathon in year 2000 and was crowned as the local champion with the time of 2hrs 58min 01 sec. The training that I did with Rameshon finally showed good result to me.

Where do you usually run?
I usually run at MacRitchie Reservior and in Bishan area, which is around my home.

Why do you like running?
Running makes me more healthy and make me live longer. I believe running can make us to have a stronger heart as compared to when we are not training. Also it is a sport that is cheaper to do than other sports.

How is your wife's support in running?
My wife, Lay Choo is the greatest source of support to me. She never made any complaints about my running training and she was there with me as a spectator for all of my races.

Picture 4- Donald Ng and his wife Lay Choo.
Can you share with us the races that you have done recently?
The recent race I did was Mizuno Mt Faber Wave Run. I ran and came in 10th position in June this year, after having several bouts of injury for 15 months.

How many years have you been helping Ernest Wong?
I think it is for more than 10 year since 1996. We trained together like partner until he got married.

How many years have you been helping the 6 Division?
I represented 6 Division from 1987 to 2000 until I finished my reservist. I continued my training with them until 2006. I was later appointed as assistant coach and coach from 2007 to be present to train them for Army Half Marathon. Right now, I am assisting them and sometimes will do workout with them when my legs feel
itchy..hahaha

Picture 5- Commendation from 6 Division for helping in training the runners

What is your advise for people who want to take up running at 40 years and above?
My advice is to train with or run under experienced runners and gets tips from them or engage a trainer.

0 Comments: