Friday, March 4, 2011

East Timor not a burden to Asean

JAKARTA - EAST Timor's foreign minister said Friday his young country would not be a burden to Asean as he formally presented his country's application to join the Southeast Asian grouping.

'We're developing very fast,' Zacarias da Costa told reporters during a joint press conference with his Indonesian counterpart.

'I understand there are still problems and gaps with some of the Asean countries but those who came to visit Timor Leste had witnessed what is the phase of the development in Timor Leste,' he said, using the country's formal name.


'I believe that we will not be a burden to Asean,' he said.

Indonesia, the current chair of the 10-nation bloc, has offered strong support for East Timor's bid to join the grouping, despite worries over the yawning economic gap with existing member states.

'I know that some believe that it (Timor's entry) may impact on Asean community building efforts. 

Indonesia is part of those who believe the case on the contrary,' Indonesian foreign minister Marty Natalegawa said. -- AFP


0 Comments: