Saturday, April 16, 2011

An Interview With 5000m Champion S. Jeevanesh



S. Jeeva's Long - term goal is to break N. Ganesan's 5000m national 14min 57sec 

Photos (Courtesy of Kevin Goh)




5000m - National Schools' Track and Field Championships 2011 Report and photo

Picture 1 - The start of 5000m race, Jeeva taking the lead, Teng Jian Hong taking the lead on the outer lane


S. Jeeva gave his interview to me and I was surprised that from a person who did not like running is seriously considering to, in the long run, to break N. Ganesan's 5000m time of 14min 57sec.

As a coach, and a person who helped N. Ganesan in his quest in breaking this record, I feel that within a short period, Jeeva has achieved more than me or N. Ganesan.

I believe that he has more in store in him to eventually become a national record holder of Singapore of the future.

This year, Jeeva's focus was to break the national schools' cross-country record and at the same time come in first in order to qualify in the Asean boys Track and Field championships. His father expressed interest in this and he was hoping the NSA will assist his son to be groomed as a top athlete of Singapore.

Picture 2 - From 3min 10sec for 1st km strategy, Jeeva switched strategy to go a little faster for the 1st 1km.



An Interview With S. Jeevanesh

What was the time that you were going for?
I was hoping for a sub 16 min. However, due to rain and delay, it was quite difficult to achieve this but I still ran with the belief that it was possible.

Picture 3- Jeeva maintaining the lead until 3000m plus


What was your strategy for this race?
Same as cross country, I guess.
Picture 4 - Rodrigo from VJC was maintaining third position and was infront of Wilbert from RJC


What was your strategy at the start of the race?
My plan at the start was to start out fast and take the lead.

 Picture 5 - Jeeva doing his best to maintain the 16min flat time that he had planned for
 
What time did you do, really, for the first 1km?
I did 03:03 for the first 1km, 7s faster than expected.


Can you tell us on any splits that you have taken during the race?
03:03 for 1km, apprx. 09:40 for 3km.
Picture 6- Aldrich Lim, second from left, trying to reach Wilbert Ho (RJC) and Eugene Rodrigo (VJC)


What was your real goal for this race?
My aim was to do my best for this race as I did not really train for this as my focus originally was on cross country and I did not have much time to prepare as well. Also, to qualify for the upcoming ASEAN School Games which gives me plenty of time to achieve my target of sub 16 min and perhaps going under Darshannath's Record of 15:40.

Earlier has anyone from Hwa Chong Institution been selected for the Asian Boys in the past?
Yes, two of them - Jeffrey Ng (16min 40sec), and Peter Marini (has a personal best time of 4min 13sec for 1500m)

Picture 7 -  Yeo Si Heng from Hwa Chong coming in 8th position for the race.  

How do you compare this year's race to year 2009 and 2010.
They are excellent runners as well. However, they didn't have much fierce competition as compared to this year's to push them for a faster time.

What is your aim for the upcoming 1500m?
Since I am first in 5000m and I have already made my dad happy, it will only be a bonus if I can come in first for the 1500m. Right now position doesn't matter because of this. All I'm hoping for a sub 4:10 for the upcoming 1500m.

Picture 8 - Wilbert Ho from RJC, running in front of Zorndrix Dass



Can you tell us on the detail of the race?
I started the race as quickly as I could, completing the first 1km in 03:03. I continued the fast pace but a little slower. I lead till the 3000m mark with a time of 09:40. Unlike cross country which I had a 100m lead at this point, Benjamin Amaldas was just right behind me. Hence, I switched to a conservative approach, allowing him to overtake me. By doing so, I followed his pace as well as slowly recovered from my fast start. I decided to overtake him at the last 400m but on doing so, he uped the pace. The same thing occured during the last 250m. Thus, I got ready for the last 100m preparing for a sprint finish. I burst out at the last 120m and overtook him. He responded quickly as well and both of us sprinted to the end with a mere 0.15s difference.

Picture 9 - Amaldas trying to do a fast break at the last 200m


What is your next goal?
My next goal is to do a sub 16 min for 5K. I hope to improve year by year and finally break N.Ganesan's Record of 14:57. Also, I would like to enjoy the process rather than the end result

Picture 10 - A determined Jeeva finally winning the 5km race.



Appreciation - I would like to thank the Hwa Chong High School and College supporters, my training colleagues, Teng Jian Hong, Yeo Si Heng, Mun Yong Liang and Mr Rameshon (coaching). I would like to thank my dad for coming down to support. I also would like to thank those who have helped me one way or another whom I have not mentioned here.


0 Comments: