Monday, December 13, 2010

Tan Choon Ghee (2hr 34min 39sec)

Tan Choon Ghee - Former National Record holder (Marathon) - 2hr 34min 39sec.
  

Still having a fit body, Tan Choon Ghee, our former national record holder, came to MacRitchie Reservoir to run in the 5km MR25 time-trial for fun. It was his record that I broke it in 1990. I brought time down to 2hr 31min at that time. Right now, we are not competitors but friends. Hence, we shared about our lives and the marathon and long distance scene in Singapore.

He told me that he is at present in Switzerland, no more in Greenland. His wife Yvonne Danson, our current national record holder for marathon, is now in England. Very soon, she will be back at Switzerland with him. He told me that it is cold staying in Greenland.

Tan Choon Ghee was also a former ultra marathon record holder who covered 10 rounds around the 10.55km MacRitchie Reservoir in Ultra Marathon race. Khoo Choon Poo did 11 rounds and broke the record for this course. This year, the event will be held on 26 Dec 2010 at MacRitchie, near the cafe. It starts near the canteen area somewhere at 7am and end at 7pm. Registration starts earlier. It is good to report at 6:30am.

I decided to ask him few questions to make people aware of this youthful looking veteran runner who is, at this age, still looks very fit.

Picture 2 - Tan Choon Ghee, running the December 12, MR 25 5km Time - Trial
An Interview With Tan Choon Ghee
Tell us on your personal best for 1500m, 5km, 10km and half-marathon timing?
1500m - 4min 20sec
5km - 16min 40sec (track)
10km - 34min 35sec (track)
21km - 1hr 15min (2002)

How was the time-trial today for you?
I just ran for fun. I went for an easy one.

How many sub 2hr 40min have you done for marathons?
Two. One in China (2hr 34min plus) and the other was in USA, California Pacific Rim Marathon 2hr 34min 39sec). The run that I did in USA was official as a new national record at that time.

What are you doing for your income right now?
After my spa treatment diploma, I have set up my own business in Switzerland which deals with sports massage.

How was your parents support towards your passion, which is running?
They told me to, in the past and at present, run but not get obsessed by it.

What do you think about the standard of marathon performance in Singapore after SSCM 2010?
The first position timing (Mok Ying Ren) is ok, except for those who came in second third and so on. There is a need to pull up their socks. That was the reason why I came back to Singapore in 2007 to run in the Standard Chartered Marathon. I came in 4th in Men Open and second in men veteran. If I can do it, it means that they can do it. I did that so that youngsters can see that a 40 plus year old can still beat many youngsters. In the past, there were people doing many sub 2hr 50min, at least about 7 of them. Now, only one person can do it. This is a state which needs correction. With technology and scientific advances, people should be running much faster, not slower. We need to attain that.

Will you still be running competitively?
A few years more, I guess.



0 Comments: